Kathleen

I thought I was doing a co worker a favor when I stuck my nose in where it didn’t belong pertaining to an absence she had on an important day.
She most certainly did not appreciate my interference into her private/personal life and “lost it” on me in front of a group of people.
I felt just awful and was embarrassed and humiliated BUT knew I had over stepped a boundry and needed to try to correct it.
I was afraid to speak to her on my own for she was very angry and I didn’t want to rile her any further or feel threatened if I approached her. I asked my manager to facilitate a meeting with the three of us ( I explained what happened of course), so I could apologize.
We all met the next week. When this lady walked in and saw me she clearly still angry with me.
I simply looked her in the eyes and told her I was wrong for poking my nose in her business. I was out of line and she had every right to her privacy. I stated that though I “thought” I was doing the right thing it was wrong and I was sorry.
In a heartbeat she relaxed and accepted my apology, and to this day we are friendly toward one another. Hard lesson for me, but it was effective in putting me in my place