Kirandip

I believe I may fall in between a couple categories of communication styles, but the one that I feel most resonates with how I communicate is the “feeler”. As I was reading this week’s reading, the portion on “feeler” communicators felt as though it was describing me and how I most enjoy and find meaning in conversations and interactions with both patients under my care and my coworkers and/or interdisciplinary team members. I have found that I always like to spend some time getting to know a patient under my care beyond their health history, such as their personality, where they are from, occupation (past/present) hobbies, lifestyle, etc. This helps me better understand my patient and how I can best meet their care needs as no two patients are ever alike, and it helps me be able to deliver a slightly more individualized approach to their nursing care. It has always been important to me to be able to sense people’s emotions around me, and thus understand them as a person more clearly, and I have applied this in my nursing practice as well. It’s been particularly valuable when noticing differences in cognitive status, behaviours, or orientation when I have worked on a Memory Care unit. There have been a few situations where I have noticed displays of microaggression in residents that normally have a very calm disposition where it has later been revealed to have been the first signs of an acute illness such as a UTI. I have realized however that I also change my communication style based on the current situation and/or patient. For example, in situations where time is limited or it is an emergent situation, I seem to switch to a “doer” communication style. In situations in past roles where I have had to call an ambulation for a resident, I recall now how much my communication switches in these moments to be short, clear, and succinct so as to save valuable time and thus better help the resident/patient and all of those involved in their care.