Kirandip

I most definitely believe that nurses can learn a great deal from each other through sharing stories. I remember especially as a new nurse how afraid I was of making a mistake and because of that fear of the unknown, how much I would listen carefully to what preceptors and clinical supervisors would share through firsthand experiential patient stories so that I could possibly avoid a source of error in the future and try to be the best nurse I could be. And even though those days of being a brand new nurse seem like some time ago, I still feel like I’m new very frequently and especially when you have a different assignment, or start a role in a field of nursing you have limited experience in. I find myself still very much valuing what coworkers, supervisors, managers, and mentors will share through stories and appreciating the lesson I can learn from it, albeit second hand, but still very important. One of my personal favourite stories to tell is about a resident that I cared for in an Assisted Living home. It’s a simple story but one that’s never left me. I was a new nurse, and I had limited experience in delivering “bad news” (new diagnoses, updates of disease progression, etc) and I remember being assigned to do rounds with the MD one day and he found it amusing how nervous I was to even stand beside the MD whilst the news was being delivered. I had researched the diagnosis in detail and looked up available supports in the resident’s immediate area, and even looked up “what not to say” in this situation. My palms were clammy, and I could barely make eye contact with the resident. When the MD had finished delivering the news to the resident/patient, I remember my mind going completely blank of everything I had prepared to say and the only thing I could think of saying to the resident was “I’m so sorry, are you ok?”, and the resident replied “It’s just another adventure!”. It’s such a small interaction I had with that resident that day, but I will never forget their response and their outlook. I learnt in that moment, you don’t have to say the right thing or the perfect thing, and even in terms of the resident’s outlook, it opened my eyes to a perspective I hadn’t had yet. To this day, I still catch myself saying “It’s just another adventure!” to anything that happens that wasn’t expected or unfavourable, and it still has just as much as an impact as the first time I heard it being said.