Jen

I find this question difficult to answer as I can see where the ‘most important’ source of influence can vary situationally. A situation coming to mind is when the Covid Vaccine was first offered to healthcare workers in Dec 2020. There was a lot of fear around taking this vaccine and it was a highly personal choice however my workplace was hoping to influence all team members to take ‘the shot’. Team members were Personally Motivated as we knew the vaccine would significantly reduce the severity of covid symptoms and the spread. We had many team members fearful of needles, or fearful of the unknown which would impact their Personal Ability. Our LTC home was providing team member coverage for staff to get the vaccine during work hours (Social Ability) and they also provided transport directly to and from our workplace to the hospital to get the vaccine (Structural Ability). Team members were paid for their time as well. We were Structurally Motivated as many seniors had already passed due to covid – it was team members/families providing this exposure risk and no team member wanted to be the one to bring Covid into the LTC home – we knew by getting the vaccine we were reducing this risk. Ultimately, I saw Social Motivation play the biggest role in increasing team member’s choice to get the vaccine. In Dec 2020, our LTC home was requiring weekly NP Swabs and I was the swabber. I had many conversations with team members about the vaccine and the pros/cons. We had about 5% of our team register when the first dates were provided (lets say Dec 18/19). About 2 weeks after this group received their vaccines with no reported negative effects, our numbers began to exponentially increase for those willing to get the vaccine. We had zoom meetings with those who had received the vaccine to share why they chose to get it and any fears they may also have had. I saw a lot of peers encouraging peers to get the vaccine and reassure one another it was the best choice.