Kirandip

I can recall one example of a conflict I was involved in that was ultimately productive; during the pandemic, the RH I worked in had strict infection control protocols and one of the ones that were most difficult for our residents was the pausing of all recreational group activities for the residents. Instead, the department in charge of activities was holding one on one activities for residents in their suites. While the nursing staff at the home understood the limitations of the Lifestyles department and the changes that were occurring due to the need to social distance, we also felt that the residents were becoming increasingly lonely and bored and this lack of activity plus isolation from their families and each other was having a significant negative impact on their mental, physical, and emotional well-being. When the nursing team asked for more one on one activities to be scheduled for residents, or very small groups to be gathered for activities in our larger spaces in the home, we were met with the issue of there not being enough staff in the Lifestyles department to accommodate this. We were asked to delegate the task of recreational activities (one on one with residents) to our PSW staff. This is when the Wellness/nursing team really had to advocate with management and the home’s director to bring in more assistance staff wise in the Lifestyles department to assist with this need because our PSW staff were already overwhelmed with their increased job tasks and responsibilities during their shift. There was some conflict between the Wellness/nurse team and the Lifestyles department, but ultimately, we came to a solution and more one on one activities were able to be scheduled for more residents, so this conflict was productive.