Kirandip

On the “theotherkindoftools” EI quiz I scored a 3 out of 4- which stated that I’m doing fairly well and above average for emotional intelligence, but still have room for improvement. And on the “MindTools” EI quiz, I scored a 61-which stated that I was an emotionally intelligent person but there are areas I can build on to improve. The concept of Emotional Intelligence is not new to me. I am familiar with the term as I am an avid reader and listener to many self-growth podcasts and books. I love introspective thinking and learning, and always strive to be a “better” version of myself both personally and professionally in any way I can. I had not however, taken any sort of quiz and received a numeric scoring of my Emotional Intelligence according to a scale. I scored the highest in Self-Awareness, and lowest in Social Skills. The score in self-awareness made complete sense to me because I am very introspective and love the subject of self-growth and self-help and activities such as journaling. In terms of the social skills score, though I have always been a natural “people person” and I very much enjoy working with lots of different people- I know that I struggle with self-confidence, have some social anxiety when it comes to large groups and public speaking, and tend not speak up especially when it comes to times of conflict. I consider myself a true introvert, who prefers to decompress and recharge alone. This part of my personality however was always in stark contrast to who I find myself to present outwardly professionally because as a nurse, I know I cannot be shy or quiet and need to be an active communicator in order to drive the best possible outcomes for my patients. Nursing is also such a collaborative effort, so I have always pushed myself to be more extroverted professionally. This can sometimes cause some dilemma within me however. Many times, the introverted part of my personality comes to the surface in my professional life when it comes to having to speak up in moments of conflict, and a lot of times, I have found that I tend to avoid saying certain things just to avoid possible confrontation. In the past, I have spoken to a mentor figure about my professional growth, and I also spoke to a counsellor for a couple of months during the height of the pandemic about my emotions and burnout symptoms I was experiencing at the time. Both were very helpful, but I stopped doing them when I felt I had exhausted certain topics, but reading about the things I have read about in this course have certainly made we reconsider using these types of tools again to help myself grow further as I am aware more growth is definitely needed with things like my confidence/public speaking, and conflict resolution skills. I think it would also be very helpful for my growth as a leader to volunteer to speak in small groups at first, and hopefully build my confidence up to larger groups.