Amber

At first, my immediate thought was that I have not coached others before, however after reflecting, as a nurse a part of our role in providing care and within the profession itself requires coaching. It is something we do daily whether we are aware of it or not. Danisha provided a perfect example of providing coaching to families regarding end-of-life/ palliative care. I have also had the opportunity to coach families in the same regard working with patients with cancer. I have also been a coach/mentor to not only patients and their family members but to new grad nurses and colleagues when orienting them. I have not personally used a coach from what I can recall, but have observed coaching being done with fellow classmates in nursing school.

I was a little surprised when the article discussed not invoking the TPN too often as it prevents developing a genuine social connection.

In my nursing practice, it is important to include clients as well as their loved ones during the process of developing their plan of care and actively involving them as well. With that being said understanding and developing my own knowledge and skills on what I feel are the most effective ways to coach patients.