Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Think of a time/situation where you or a colleague did not follow IPAC practices. Discuss the situation and the potential negative outcomes for clients related to not following the appropriate IPAC practices.

Synden

Hello Francine, my name is Synden I’m looking forward to this course and new to this type of weekly posting and commenting of others.
      I have been a RPN for 32 years, worked at both hospital and LTC currently in LTC, I am back up for the Q.I and Rai co-ordinator and Lead the skin and wound, falls and safety and continence core programs. Assist with rolling out new P&P and the education of staff. Very interested in antibiotic steward ship and looking to increase my knowledge in IPAC.
      Working as a leader I find that this is so important to ensure we are following protocol and it can be easy to “turn a blind eye” when we see others not following proper procedure. It can get frustrating ensuring families/staff wearing their proper PPE(not wanting to be the bad guy). When one of our out breaks ground zero was a resident that their loved one was sitting on their bed with no mask on and coughing 🙁 . This has reinforced our due diligence.

Fatimata

Following the public health guidelines will definitely help to reduce the spread of the viruses. But as you said there is always that one person who break the rules and cause damage to the whole home. As nurses we just have to continue educating our staff and families. I encountered the same situation but reporting was the way to fix it and prevent future infections.

Sundeep

Hello Everyone. My name is Sundeep Singh, and I have been an RPN since 2009. I have always worked in Long-term care since graduating. Since 2017 I have been working as the Behavioural Support Resource Team Lead, and starting in October, I will start my new role as the ADOC- IPAC lead for another long-term care home. I am excited to learn and increase my knowledge about Infection Prevention and Control. During the pandemic, I had a colleague who had to be reminded to wear her PPE during her shift. We did PCR testing twice a week during the first phase. No visitors were allowed into the facility during that time. That week, her first PCR returned negative, and the second one was positive. As per Public Health recommendations, we put all 32 residents she looked after in isolation. Within ten days, 22 out of the 32 residents were positive for COVID. Unfortunately, we did lose 8 of those 22 residents. The outcome was that our facility went into a home-wide outbreak due to staffing shortages and staff allocations to different units. Following IPAC protocols and PPE is essential to ensure everyone’s safety.

Synden

Sundeep so sorry to hear 8 resident loss their lives, Covid has definitely open our eyes to I.C. and increased the staffing issues with the constantly changing IPAC rules. Out breaks also took a toll on our staff levels which increasing the risk of staff taking short cuts. Just one big never ending circle!

Maria Sandra

Hello, my name is Maria Castaneda and I have been an RPN since 2021, I am currently working in a nursing home. I enrolled in this course to have more knowledge on infection, how to control it, and how to support all my team members.

Synden

Hello, my name is Synden I’m looking forward to this course and new to this type of weekly posting and commenting of others.
      I have been a RPN for 32 years, worked at both hospital and LTC currently in LTC, I am back up for the Q.I and Rai co-ordinator and Lead the skin and wound, falls and safety and continence core programs. Assist with rolling out new P&P and the education of staff. Very interested in antibiotic steward ship and looking to increase my knowledge in IPAC.
      Working as a leader I find that this is so important to ensure we are following protocol and it can be easy to “turn a blind eye” when we see others not following proper procedure. It can get frustrating ensuring families/staff wearing their proper PPE(not wanting to be the bad guy). When one of our out breaks ground zero was a resident that their loved one was sitting on their bed with no mask on and coughing 🙁 . This has reinforced our due diligence.

Fatimata

Hi everyone, My name is Fatimata, recently graduate as an RPN and working in LTC. IPAC have always been part of my learning goals and taking this course will help to understand the basics of it.
      There were situations where family members visit their loved one and sometimes even with continuous education they do not follow the recommendations, ended up reporting to the management for non-compliance with public health guidance. Proper measures was taken and Non-compliance means No visit. Looking forward to read your post.

Tina

When I was working in acute care there were staff that would assist one patient with their meal and then go on to assist their room mate without washing their hands. A huge risk for transmission with a negative outcome. Ongoing education and signs posted in patient rooms as a gentle reminder for hand washing.

Nahid

hello to all, my name is Nahid, I am RPN for almost 10 years, working in LTC. really interested in wound care, i like to improve my knowledge about infection control, as i think it is one of the most important part of our nursing career.

Nahid

Hello everyone, my name is Nahid, i have been RPN for almost 10 years. I really interested to improve my knowledge about infection control ,

Francine

Hello Everyone and Welcome! I really enjoyed reading your introductions. I am very excited to facilitate this course for you.

Francine

As your facilitator, I will also provide a brief background about my myself to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

I am RPN who has been in practice since 2009. I have worked in LTC, complex continuing care, and Mental Health. I have also done leadership positions in Retirement, working as Director of Health and Wellness. I have also been an Assistant Director of Nursing Care, Quality Improvement Lead, and Manager of Clinical Informatics in LTC. I have worked throughout the pandemic on the front lines while changing in infection control were taking place. While most of my career includes Long Term Care, I enjoy facilitating this course for students and nurses of all health care settings.

Thank you again for taking this course.

Synden

I’m familiar with the struggles of working with patience with dementia, in our home we have implemented activities to be done by staff to engage the resident in his/her room. We also encourage a mask to those that will not remain in their rooms.

Sundeep

Simone, my colleagues and I would become frustrated as well. During the first pandemic wave, the rules and regulations kept changing daily, which caused a lot of frustration. We had our IPAC lead watching us performing hand hygiene and donning and doffing our PPE, and this would make us more nervous. I know I skipped a step. I also learned that as frustrating as this was, it was to ensure the safety of everyone.

Tina

I am a Clinical Manager for Supportive Housing , Assisted Living and Adult Day Program. It is very difficult to monitor staff as they are not onsite. Education of PPE was extremely important/constant for the staff to understand as with going into clients homes there is not the cleaning protocols that we have in hospitals or LTC. Communication was key in responding to any questions that they may have at any moment to protect themselves and the clients.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.