• This Discussion Thread has 14 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Shannon.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Tell us about a great healthcare leader that you know and what it is about them that makes them such a great leader?

Courtney

I had the pleasure of having a few different consolidation preceptors and they were all amazing. They all had their own way of doing things but at the end of the day they were all amazing nurses. My main preceptor was also the wound lead and auditor lead at the long term care home I was at, so I got to learn so much from her. The other great thing about being with a few different was nurse was that they all taught me different things, they all had different perspectives and they all were patient and kind with me. All of them were very knowledgeable, knowing exactly what their job entailed, knowing how to interact with the residents and were all valuable teams members. Thanks to being with them I feel I had a great well rounded consolidation that has better prepared me for the transition from student to nurse.

Tara

In my 20+ years in healthcare I was lucky enough to come across numerous individuals that were great leaders and I was fortunate enough to have learned many tools and principles that I carry with me now. One thing they all had in common is their patience and ability to guide others in their journey. A good leader is one that is able to effectively communicate and give constructive feedback without any demeaning context or making one feel lesser. They are strong in handling conflict and can offer resolutions.

Emma-Leigh

I got the opportunity to witness a code blue situation. The leader I have chosen is the lead of that emergency situation. The RN had the ability to delegate and assign tasks with total calmness. The leader showed effective communication skills and expertise knowledge on the situation presented.

Antoinette

A leader I have come across as a nurse was my preceptor when I was consolidating in the PN program. She was patient and always willing to share her knowledge with me and other nurses on the unit. She was very kind with patients. I noticed that many people trusted her and approached her for help and I believe this was because of her friendly and supportive attitude.

Patrice

I have admired some great healthare leaders throughout my work experience in the healthcare setting. I have admired an RN who I have worked with in the hospital setting as a great leader. I noticed how he always demonstrated genuine care and empathy towards his patients and the team members on the unit. It was evident that the safety of each patient and the quality of care provided were of paramount importance to him. He also communicated effectively with the patients, their families, and the team members; he treated everyone with kindness and respect. Consequently, such leadership style promoted improved patient care and outcomes as well as, fostered unity and trust.It was always a pleasure for me to work with such a great healthcare leader.

Brittany

I would definitely have to name my consolidation preceptor. I completed my consolidation on a cardiology ward. I was coming from placement in a Peterborough hospital. When I arrived to the high traffic short staffed cardiology ward in Scarborough I was not prepared. My preceptor demonstrated work ethic unlike i’ve ever seen in these other hospitals. She had found the balance of addressing pt.’s needs while not killing herself in the process and this is what she taught me. She taught me how to save time with my skills safely, she taught me the critical thinking of prioritizing and triaging, but to me most importantly she demonstrated the importance of a team player. The multidisciplinary team worked together for each individual patients best interest and the communication between all staff was intertwined yet seperate to each individuals scope. My preceptor as well as the whole team set me up for success by identifying the multi hats I need to wear as a nurse and how to wear each one effectively.

Erika-Joy

Tell us about a great healthcare leader that you know and what it is about them that makes them such a great leader?

A great healthcare leader I recently encountered is the Chief Nursing Officer at a public health unit. She was the one to orientate another student and me for our current final practicum. In summary, what makes her a great leader is her humility and integrity. I was impressed that someone at her level made time to orientate students. Also, her ability to develop a workplace in which leadership and staff live by the values, policies, and procedures that the organization stands for tells of strong leadership.

Amber

An amazing healthcare leader that I had was one of my professors. As we all know, nursing school can be quite a challenge and she had the best pep talks when some of us were at the highest points of anxiety. She was a Nurse Practitioner and was not only a professor but was a member of different committees. Her time was valuable and limited but she never once made any of us feel we were a bother. What made her a great leader was she was approachable, invested in our success and took the time to actively listen to any of our concerns or questions.

Adetutu

During my semester 2 placement on older adult,I had a very good facilitator,she was willing to teach,she sacrificed every single time to each student.
      I learnt so many things from her including putting us through school assignment.
      Till date I have never met a good teacher like that.

Judith

During my Semester 4 placement on the med-surg unit, Lakeridge. I had the opportunity to work with this amazing preceptor, who was very willing and ready to impart knowledge to his students, he made me fall in love with this profession and also made me see reasons why everything you do must be done right. he gives care with empathy and compassion. He is humble and gives a listening ear to every one of his students.

Adeola

Tell us about a great healthcare leader that you know and what it is about them that makes them such a great leader.

A great healthcare leader I have chosen is my program coordinator. Despite having a doctorate in Nursing, she brings along with her some positivity, listens to the concerns of the students and goes out of her way to ensure that the nursing students are not stressed about the program. She is always willing to hold tutorials for courses that we find challenging or connect the students with other professors who can help.

Christiana

I had 2 great clinical instructors in semesters 2 and 3. They were very kind, patient, and approachable. I learned so much from them. They made us work a lot, but we were happy to do it because we were gaining knowledge and skills.

Coleen

A great healthcare leader typically possesses a combination of strong communication skills, empathy, integrity, and a clear vision for improving patient care and outcomes. They inspire and motivate their team members through their actions and words, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement. They are also adept at navigating complex healthcare systems, advocating for patients and staff alike while effectively managing resources and driving organizational success. Great healthcare leaders lead by example, prioritize patient safety and quality care, and demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development.

Shannon

I recently just finished my consolidation, and had a great preceptor. she was very patient, knowledgeable and a great teacher. I believe that because of her patients, i was able to learn more then i thought i would be able to. a teacher can defiantly make the student.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.