• This Discussion Thread has 15 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Shannon.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

You have a new patient that needs an immediate medical response. You know that you have the knowledge, skill and judgement to perform the needed controlled act. Can you initiate this action? Y/N and why?

Courtney

Yes a RPN can initiate a procedure that is deemed necessary as long as they have the knowledgeable, skill and judgement to do so. They must also though consider any other policies or legislation that may require them from refraining to do so. The procedure must be within the nurses scope of practice and they must ensure that is safe and appropriate by: assess, identifying a problem, considering all other options, looking at the risks and benefits, making a plan of action, considering all outcomes and then accepting full responsibility. Difference between an RPN and RN in this situation is that an RN can write the order.

Adetutu

If it is emergency and it within my scope of practice,I will do the care.

Tara

Yes, an RPN can initiate a procedure in an emergent situation providing they have the skill set and knowledge to safely do so. They must consider if within their scope and is appropriate.

Emma-Leigh

After verifying the knowledge, skill, judgement and appropriate scope, yes the RPN can initiate a procedure in an emergency situation.

Antoinette

Knowledge, skill and judgment are essential when completing any nursing act. A nurse must have all three prior to initiating or performing an act independently. In addition they have to ensure that act is within their scope of practice at the organization they are practicing at. Ie. if there is training that needs to be signed off before completing an act for example IV insertion.

Patrice

In accordance with the CNO (2023), RPN Scope of Practice, a nurse can perform a needed controlled act in certain situations providing that they have the knowledge, skill, and judgment to do so. However, in certain practice settings, there might be restrictions based on legislation or policies of such facilities.

Brittany

An RPN in an emergent situation, may perform a controlled act if they have the knowledge, skill and judgment to do so. Some facilities may have different legislation that also needs to be taken into consideration but as we are governed by the CNO we cannot go above.

Ayotunde

Yes, an RPN can initiate the practice if it is within their scope of practice. Of course, the most important is the knowledge, skill, and judgement while ensuring to follow company or agency policy.

Omono

Yes, as long as you have the knowledge, skill and judgement to carry out the control act. Also want to consider the policy of your agency if it’s within the stipulated scope of practice.

Amber

Yes the RPN can carry out the controlled act if they have the knowledge, skill, and judgment to do so but they also need to consider the scope of practice and policies and procedures at their facility.

Judith

As an RPN, I will do it if I have the knowledge, skill and judgement. suppose it is within my scope of practice and the company policy.

Adeola

After reviewing the facility’s policy and my competencies regarding the controlled act to be performed, If it is within my scope of practice and I have the knowledge and skills to perform the act, I will complete it as RPN may perform some controlled act in an emergency.

Christiana

It depends on the practice setting. Yes, RPNs with the knowledge, skill, and judgement can initiate a controlled act as long as it is allowed in that practice setting.

Coleen

As an RPN (Registered Practical Nurse), if I have the knowledge, skills, and judgment to perform a needed controlled act for a new patient requiring immediate medical response, I can initiate the action within the scope of my practice. Controlled acts are specific procedures or actions defined by legislation that require a regulated healthcare professional to perform due to their potential risks. RPNs are authorized to perform certain controlled acts within their scope of practice as defined by the regulations and guidelines provided by the regulatory body governing nursing practice in their jurisdiction. However, it’s essential to ensure that the action is within my scope of practice, aligns with organizational policies and procedures, and is in the best interest of the patient’s health and safety.

Shannon

Yes, as long as i have the knowledge, skill and judgement to complete the task at hand. Also need to ensure that its not only within the standards of the CNO but your agency as well

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.