• This Discussion Thread has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Shannon.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

After graduation, you have received your temporary RN registration and are working in a long-term care home. You have several patients that require the use of a mechanical lift to transfer to their wheelchairs. The PSWs on the floor are familiar with the lift however today there was a new PSW on the unit and she will need teaching around this for her first patient. Are you able to delegate this task to the PSW? Y/N and why?

Tara

No, someone in the temporary class is not able to delegate any tasks. This requires practicing under the general class

Adetutu

No I will not delegate this assignment to the Psw until I am sure she has the skill and knowledge.

Adetutu

No I will not delegate this assignment to the Psw because I am a nurse with a temporary license,.

Adetutu

No I will not delegate this assignment to the Psw because I am a nurse with a temporary license,so I will perform the task .

Courtney

No, you are not able to delegate tasks until you are fully registered as a Nurse and under a general, extended or emergency class.

Antoinette

No delegation cannot be performed by a Nurse in the temporary class.

Patrice

No, a nurse holding a temporary class is not allowed to delegate any task

Brittany

No a nurse under a temporary license is not able to delegate.

Ayotunde

A nurse under a temporary licence is not able to delegate.

Amber

A nurse is unable to delegate with a temporary license.

Judith

I will not delegate, I am a temporary RN but will look for another competent staff to assist me with the task to avoid falls.

Adeola

I cannot delegate this task to the PSW because I have a temporary license. I will look for another RN and notify them of the situation.

Coleen

Yes, as an RPN with temporary RN registration, I am able to delegate the task of teaching the new PSW about the use of a mechanical lift for transferring patients to their wheelchair. Delegation involves assigning appropriate tasks to competent individuals within their scope of practice. Since mechanical lift operation falls within the scope of practice of personal support workers (PSWs), and assuming the PSW is competent and familiar with the use of the lift, I can delegate this task to them. However, I must ensure that I provide clear instructions, supervise the task initially to ensure competency, and be available for any questions or assistance the PSW may need during the teaching process.

Shannon

A nurse is unable to delegate with a temporary license.
      Also most agencies, require you to be trained/signed off before using a lift if it has been delegated or not

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.