• This Discussion Thread has 15 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Christiana.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Consider one of the teams that you work in now. Are they high-functioning? If so, what are they doing right and if not, what areas could they improve in?

Taylor

The team I was recently working with was extremely high-functioning and great to work with. They were all motivated members of the health-care team that show true kindness to all of our clients. They are always willing to lend a hand to a co-worker in need, even if it means cutting a break short. They are dedicated to their positions and it was an honour to work with that team!

Francine

It is so important to have a cohesive team as you described. The work can be challenging and stressful and having a high-functioning team can make a difference. It also leads to better patient outcomes.

Shawana

The team I was working with ( during my co-up) was a high performance team. Effective communication was very important to the healthcare team, this helped them to prevent errors and sharing the responsibilities.

Courtney

I believe the team I work with now is able to function effectively and efficiently. We all share the same goals and have the same outlook when it comes to patient care which is a great asset to any team. I feel our communication could improve as I feel sometimes things get dropped or lost in translation which is not overly difficult when you are in a long term care home with 42 patients per unit and 4 different units. However, I do feel this is something that can be improved upon and because our team is able to work together so effectively I believe this is something that we can achieve.

Tara

I recently changed my place of employment as previous workplace was not an environment where I felt supported by management. There were a few members of the nursing team that were very toxic and were not team players. This made the job harder to function as it increased anxiety among staff and poor communication. The management team seemed to never discipline or try and stop the incidents. They would take the complaint and do nothing to rectify situations.
      My current place of work is wonderful. It is run by team of management that always have the time to discuss any issues that arise and don’t allow them to be swept under the rug. The nursing team all work together in ensuring the best quality of care and help out others. Makes a big difference in work ethic

Antoinette

The team I currently work with is high functioning. Everyone works cohesively and helps each other out. Of course floor acuity, and staffing plays a big role in this. Although the floor can be pretty acute, it is a smaller unit and we are staffed very well so we all have the time to help each other out. Both the educator and manager are very supportive, they have a thorough onboarding program, which was not present on the previous unit I worked on. They also have lots of opportunity for growth and leadership within the unit.

Patrice

I considered the team that I had recently worked with within the healthcare setting as highly functioning because it was evident that each team member understood their roles and responsibilities; as well, there was clarity of job functions. There was a recognition of the value of working together as a team towards a common goal of providing the highest level of care for each patient.

Brittany

In all honesty I’ve worked in healthcare for along time and have seen many different styles of working “together”. that being said I feel very privileged that at my last consolidation I got to be a part of a dream team. I think a huge contributing factor is almost all the nurses have worked together for 5 plus yrs. I also think that when it comes to such a critical unit like cardio no one is going to leave anyone shorthanded. I found these nurses had a different kind of dedication, they were invested in their patients care and it showed. As I mentioned in a prior post this team was not solely the nurses I’ve never experienced the multidisciplinary team working so close together. Even as a student The doctors, surgeons all the way to pharmacy were in direct communication with me. This type of team work is beneficial for all parties involved most importantly the patient.

Ayotunde

I am currently having my placement in a Long-Term home and I can say they are high functioning, as everyone is actively involved and works together as a team with a common goal and always make sure the aim is about residents’ satisfaction because most of them are unable to advocate for themselves.

Omono

The team I work with are very functioning , helpful and goal and team oriented. They are ever ready to help when I am in need of clarifications. During my transition from PSW to RPN the whole team foster a collaborative environment where all team member feels comfortable readily sharing ideas for the good of the residents.

Amber

The team I was working with was very high functioning. Everyone helped each other and worked together towards the common goal. The only time the dynamics were different was due to certain colleagues not working well with each other. The majority of the staff were very like-minded individuals, approachable and team players.

Adeola

I am currently completing my consolidation hours in an emergency department. I will say the team functions as a high-functioning team as the nurses work as a team, everyone has clear roles and responsibilities, there is effective communication among the team members and is constantly collaborating with the interprofessional healthcare team members to optimize the well-being of the patients.

Coleen

As an RPN nurse, I work within a team in a long-term care facility. Our team is generally high-functioning, but like any team, there are always areas for improvement.

One thing our team does well is communication. We have regular team meetings where we discuss patient care plans, share updates, and address any concerns or challenges. This open communication fosters collaboration and ensures everyone is on the same page regarding patient care.

However, there are areas where we could improve. For instance, we could enhance our teamwork during busy shifts by better coordinating tasks and supporting each other as needed. Additionally, we could focus more on professional development and continuing education to stay updated on best practices and advancements in healthcare.

Overall, while our team is high-functioning, there’s always room for growth and improvement, and we’re committed to working together to provide the best possible care for our patients.

Shannon

The team I work with is high functioning. Everyone helps every to get the task at hand compete. Sometimes you come across a few “bad apples” but in general everyone works well together, and are great team players

Christiana

The team I work with currently in my consolidation is high functioning. We work together and help one another whenever there is a need for two-person assist with transfers or care.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.