• This Discussion Thread has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Rahmatu.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Grace
      Keymaster

Reflection discussion: Search the internet for a four moments of Hand Hygiene poster that you feel explains it the best and could be used in your workplace. Explain why you chose the poster.

Brianne

I have seen this poster multiple times so I can easily remember it. It also just provides the most important points and if you want more information you can look up more information on their website.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Robin

I really like this poster. When I was instructing a PSW class I included it in the orientation packages.

Rahmatu

Hi Robin,
        I agree with you. This is also one of my favourite posters for hand hygiene. It provides an “at a glance” description of the concept of the 4-moments of hand hygiene. It is easy to understand and relates very well with clinical practice, and it appears to be the go-to choice for most healthcare facilities.

Lourdine

Using soap and water during hand hygiene is crucial for several reasons:

1. Mechanical Action: Soap helps physically remove dirt, grime, and microorganisms from the hands. When you rub your hands together with soap and water, friction helps to lift off and wash away contaminants that may be present on the skin.

2. Microbial Removal: Soap effectively disrupts and removes microorganisms, including bacteria and viruses, from the skin surface. The surfactants in soap can break down the lipid membranes of many pathogens, rendering them inactive and more accessible to rinse.

3. Complete Coverage: Soap and water enable thorough cleaning of all areas of the hands, including between fingers, around nails, and wrists, ensuring comprehensive removal of contaminants.

4. Effectiveness Against Various Pathogens: Soap, a reliable ally in the fight against infections, is effective against a wide range of pathogens. It stands strong against those that may cause respiratory infections, gastrointestinal illnesses, and skin infections, giving you a sense of security and confidence in your hand hygiene practices.

5. Accessible and cost-effective: soap and water, the most basic yet powerful tools for hand hygiene, are readily available in most settings. Their affordability and easy accessibility empower you to maintain good hand hygiene without any barriers.

6. Reduced Skin Irritation: Proper use of soap and water is generally gentler on the skin compared to frequent use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers, which can sometimes cause dryness and irritation with prolonged use.

7. Compliance with Guidelines: Leading health organizations, such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), recommend handwashing with soap and water as a fundamental hygiene practice to prevent the spread of infections.

In summary, using soap and water during hand hygiene is essential for effectively removing dirt, microbes, and contaminants from the hands. This reduces the risk of spreading infections and maintains overall hand hygiene. It is a simple yet highly effective practice that contributes significantly to public health and hygiene.
      reference
      Leaving Soap Residue To Dry On Your Car? A Must Read – motor snitch. https://motorsnitch.com/what-happens-if-soap-dries-on-your-car/

Attachments:
      Robin

I chose this poster because it is easy to follow with simple explanations. People who do not work in healthcare would be able to follow the instructions. I believe that is as important as health care workers following the four moments of hand hygiene.

Attachments:
      Rahmatu

I choose this poster because it provides more context into the need for healthcare professionals and visitors to hospital to perform hand hygiene for the purpose of ensuring patient safety and improving quality patient outcome.
      It also it is not vague, but puts in clear picture, the moments when the 4 moments of hand hygiene is to be completed in simple and easy to understand words.

Rahmatu

The four moments of hand hygiene is an important practice that when strictly enforced helps to reduce the transmission of nosocomial infections, reduce patient length of stay and also reduce health care costs significantly.

Attachments:
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.