• This Discussion Thread has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 days, 3 hours ago by Rahmatu.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Grace
      Keymaster

Discussion Question: This reading discusses low compliance with IPAC practices by healthcare providers. Have you always followed IPAC practices in your workplace? What would you recommend at your current or a former workplace to ensure or increase compliance with IPAC practices?

Robin

Robin

I can say earlier in my career I did not always follow IPAC practices. Now that I am a hospital employee and student I 100% follow IPAC practices. I feel differently about not wanting to spread viruses or possibly take them home to me family. The best way to ensure compliance would be consequences given to those who don’t follow the IPAC precautions as they are there for a reason.

Rahmatu

Hi Robin.

I agree that compliance with IPAC practices is one of the best practices that a healthcare worker should adopt to ensure our own safety, the safety of patients, and that of staff and visitors to the organization. It is also an important step in breaking the chain of transmission of infectious diseases, with the potential to decrease the prevalence of infectious diseases and even eliminate them.

Rahmatu

At certain points in my practice, I may miss one or more of the 4 moments of hand hygiene, especially when there is a sudden change in acuity of the patient or in an emergency situation. As part of my recommendation to my workplace in increasing compliance with IPAC practices is the need for consistent surveillance with the intention of determining the potential for an infectious disease outbreak. Secondly, performing real-time audits that could possibly eliminate bias or falsified compliance data that may potentially result in an exaggerated or underestimated compliance records. Lastly, the use of incentives or rewards for staff who demonstrate persistent compliance with IPAC practices should be implemented to applaud staff for these practices and to further motivate staff to be consistent with these behaviors.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.