• This Discussion Thread has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3 days, 3 hours ago by Francine.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Thinking of your current or a past practice area provide an example of the train of transmission specific to that area. Fill in all ‘links’ in the chain with an example for each link:

Infectious Agent:

Reservoirs:

Portals of Exit:

Modes of Transmission:

Portals of Entry:

Susceptible Host:

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Synden

Infectious Agent: Pseudomonas

Reservoirs: Moist wound-secretions

Portals of Exit: leaky dressings-wound secretions not properly contained

Modes of Transmission: Contact-from one person to another through contaminated hands, equipment, or surfaces

Portals of Entry: break in skin/ wounds, medical equipment that aren’t properly cleaned/hand hygiene

Susceptible Host: immunocompromised, aging resident with open wounds

Fatimata

Infectious agent: bacteria E.coli
      Reservoir: G I tract
      Portal of exit: Anal
      Mode of transmission: back to front wiping
      Portal of entry: Urethra
      susceptible host: people (women)

Tina

Infectious Agent: Covid 19
      Reservoir: staff, family, surfaces
      Portal of Exit: Mucous membranes-coughing/sneezing , touching
      Modes of Transmission: Droplet, clients, contact person to person -surfaces
      Portals of entry-Respiratory, mucous membranes
      Susceptible Host-all people, elderly, young children, compromised.

Maria Sandra

Infectious Agent: VRE

Reservoirs: Staffs, residents LTC, hospitals, surfaces (beds)

Portals of Exit: fluids, secretions, soiled areas, contaminated hands

Modes of Transmission: contact

Portals of Entry:wounds, broken skin

Susceptible Host: Health care staff, residents, visitors and compromised

Nahid

I agree with you , we should do hand washing in proper way , and another important thing is , make sure when we are sick be more cautious at work . Either stay home till getting better or use proper PPE .

Sundeep

Hi Nahid,

I agree with you. Hand Hygiene is crucial. I complete hand hygiene audits several times a week at work and I have had to provide 1:1 education with the staff. I also hear about staff coming in to work despite being sick. I agree with that you the person should stay home until they are better.

Nahid

Infection agent: Covid 19

Reservoir: resident with COPD

Portal of exit: respiratory secretions

Mode of transmission:expose to respiratory fluids

Portal of entry:airborn pathogen when sick person for example sneezing or coughing

Subscribe host: immunocompromised persons

Sundeep

Infectious Agent: Clostridium Difficile

Reservoirs: commodes, toilets, bathtubs that are contaminated

Portals of Exit: feces

Modes of Transmission: touching surfaces that are contaminated with feces and then touching the mouth

Portals of Entry: mouth

Susceptible Host: long-term use of antibiotics, consuming infected food or water; an immunocompromised person

Francine

Great discussion everyone. I really like to see you engaged with your fellow professionals. As nurses, we can always learn from one another.

Fatimata

MRSA example has been one of the nosocomial infection that I have seen in hospital setting because it spread by direct contact with contaminated hands. So the 4 moments of hand hygiene, cleaning equipment after each use and educations staff will help to prevent the spread of the bacteria.

Tina

Going through the last few years has made me and others I am sure more cautious at home related to cleaning of high touch surfaces like light switches etc on a daily or more basis. As well working in the community cleaning of our vehicles high touch areas.

Maria Sandra

Hi Tina, I also think it is important to maintain a good hygiene such as hand washing, cleaning of high touch surfaces on a daily basis, not only in our workplace, also at home.

Synden

I agree, one positive outcome is how even stores are more cautious and routinely have hand sanitizer and spray to keep the carts clean. I feel covid has increased the general publics knowledge on I.C.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.