• This Discussion Thread has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Maria.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Reflection question: This reading discusses low compliance with IPAC practices by health care providers. Have you always followed IPAC practices in your workplace? What would you recommend at your current or a former workplace to ensure or increase compliance with IPAC practices?

Patrice

Yes, I have always tried to follow the IPAC procedures in the workplace. To increase compliance with IPAC practices, I would recommend that a former workplace regularly conduct meetings to discuss IPAC issues, track the progress of IPAC practices compliance, and establish consequences for non-compliance for all healthcare workers.

Carmen

I like the practicality and effective suggestions that you’d give your former workplace. They’re simple yet effective which can be a great approach when wanting to make improvements.

Carmen

I’ve followed IPAC procedures in the workplace. It’s important to maintain these practices to reduce the risk of spreading infectious agents. At my previous workplace we had an IPAC unit committee who ran hand hygiene audits and education sessions. We also had an IPAC checklist that was appointed to one person every shift to ensure that we were following protocols (ie. appropriate signage was on the doors when applicable, ensuring we had an adequate supply of PPE & hand sanitizer, that the care station had no food or beverages around…etc.).
      What I would recommend to ensure/increase compliance would be to do regular check-ins/audits to identify where there are learning gaps or common errors & provide education.

Josephine

It is excellent that your facility has a committee to educate and train your staff on relevant techniques.

Patrice

Carmen,
        It’s really commendable how dedicated you are, to adhering to IPAC procedures and proposing check-ins to ensure compliance. This seems to be a good approach to tackle any learning gaps and errors that may arise.

Catherine

I always try to be on the lookout for situations where precautions may be necessary. At the facility where I work, we have regular huddles at the beginning of our shifts (these are outside of report) to communicate any new information regarding potential need for PPE with residents (such as infectious residents). PPE is readily available in our home, and all staff is aware of its location.

Brittany

Hi there, I really appreciate people like you who go above and beyond to look out to identify risks for spread of infection. I also like team huddles, I think it should be the entire multi disciplinary team contributing, learning and re-evaluating to curb infection.

Josephine

Yes, I have always tried to follow the IPAC practices in my facility. I would recommend that my facility have frequent briefings during an outbreak and supply staff with the relevant PPEs during the outbreak as per IPAC policies and procedures.

Jelyn

Yes, following IPAC practices is important to me, because I am not only protecting myself and the people I am providing care to but also I am protecting my family by not bringing any bacteria into my family. One thing I would recommend is quarterly training for the staff about infection control as well as consistent auditing of the workers of hand hygiene practices.

Babita

To reduce the spread of transmission it is vital that all health care providers follow IPAC recommendations. I have had the opportunity to work in a variety of areas, but 1 common factor was IPAC. It is the responsibility of us all to reduce the spread if disease. Each facility has the own rule and regulations.

Antoinette

Hello, thanks for your post.

What are some reasons you think staff make shortcuts while wearing their PPE? At my facility I beleive ti is because of time constraint form things like workload and short staffing. I would recommend that nurses cluster their care and try to get as much done in one interaction wearing all their PPE. If they forget something outside the room they can call for a colleague to bring it to the room.

Antoinette

I always try my best to maintain IPAC precautions for all my patient interactions. There have been instances where I may not wear full PPE as I am just running into do one thing such as deliver water. However, certain infections I would be more strict with those occurrences. For example, I feel safer doing that with someone on precaution for c.diff over someone on precautions for an airborne infection. Although there are breaches in PPE amongst nurses it is not because we do not know or understand the implications or even that we are lazy. I think it has more to do with time constraint. Donning a full set of PPE takes time and sometimes we are so busy that shortcuts are made. However I found that the best way to limit those shortcuts and ensure we are donning PPE appropriately is to try to cluster all my care when I have patients on precautions. Such as in the morning I do all my vitals, morning meds, set up for meals and peri care in one interaction. I try to bring in everything I need into the patient’s room and get them settled and comfortable. However, this is not always possible.

Catherine

In my facility many of the staff take a similar approach. I don’t like this idea, especially in airborne infections. There are some staff who just run into rooms of people with Covid to turn off a call bell or drop a drink or snack. I do not think this is acceptable practice.
        Another thing I am learning is that nurses in my facility save their isolation rooms during med pass for last. In a way it is good, but it also ends up taking more time in the long term ( it feels that way). I feel you still have to don & doff the PPE regardless, so why not just do it all at once…just my opinion though.

Thivyaa

It is crucial to comply with IPAC practices in workplaces. I always ensure I’m maintaining IPAC measures to protect myself and the people around me. IPAC practices should be followed in all workplaces. At my previous workplace, I would recommend observing common IPAC practices that are being neglected and have bi-weekly or monthly meetings to discuss how to effectively practice IPAC precautions. Ensuring the workplace isn’t short staffed which may lead staff to short-cut PPE and not abide with IPAC precautions. Simple steps such as wiping down the keyboard and mouse after documentation are things that are overlooked.

Olusola

Hi Thivyaa,
        I believe the issue of short staffing your mentioned is quite true and important to always be considered. It’s great you made that connection. It usually leads to many forms of malpractices including not adhering to IPAC practices.

Brittany

Brittany- I’ve worked in places that diligently follow IPAC practices and others who do not. The home I was at the longest performed hand hygiene assessments at the front door for staff and visitors alike. It was a timed inspection. There was also random checks in kitchen of staff providing sanitizer for each resident. In comparison I’ve worked in very understaffed environments where there were not even IPAC representatives and protocols were sometimes skipped in order to make sure each resident was cared for. PPE was not often provided or even in house. I have firm commitment to infection control as I would not ever want to be responsible for jeopardizing a residents health or bringing anything home to my family. I truly believe that combatting staffing shortages would decrease the amt of spread infection on a large scale.

Nkechi

Hello Brittany,

I agree with you that combatting the shortage of staff will help with the compliance of IPAC and the proper implementation of IPAC practices.

Nkechi

Nkechi
      At my current workplace, I follow the IPAC practices especially when it comes to hand hygiene as this is super important to the overall health of the residents, each other, and even our families in general.
      Regular evaluation and adjustments to the strategies below will contribute to sustained compliance with IPAC practices:
      Education and Training:
      Ensure that healthcare providers receive comprehensive education and training on IPAC practices. This includes regular updates to keep staff informed about the latest guidelines and protocols.
      Clear Policies and Procedures:
      Establish clear and accessible policies and procedures related to IPAC. Make sure that all staff members are aware of these policies and understand their importance in preventing infections
      Continuous Improvement:
      Establish a system for continuous improvement in IPAC practices. This involves learning from incidents, staying updated on emerging threats, and adapting protocols accordingly.

Nkechi

Hello Brittany,

I agree with you that combatting the shortage of staff will help with the compliance of IPAC and proper implementation of IPAC practices.

Olusola

I am always intentional about IPAC practices. I personally believe that many can be nipped in the bud with simple IPAC practices that are often overlooked like handwashing. There is no way I’m skipping on practices that protects me and patients, while also saving resources like time, efforts and money to needed to achieve a healthy status.
      I would recommend that more sensitization, especially in a visual manner, should be done to make healthcare workers be self-aware of the valuable importance of following IPAC practices and the possible consequences highlighted clearly.

Maria

I always follow the IPAC practice the best that I can especially when it’s come to hand washing that can prevent any diseases. My recommendation to my current facility it’s to do more education and training courses that can help all the staff up to date and ensure we are knowledgeable in all aspects about IPAC routine and practices.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.