• This Discussion Thread has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Maria.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Reflection question: Effective cleaning and disinfection practices reduce the risk of transmission of infections to health care workers and patients. What can you do at your workplace to support effective cleaning and disinfection?

Catherine

When on shift, I use the Virox-type wipes to ensure equipment (lifts, resident surfaces) are disinfected between every use. I perform hand hygiene at every available time, and use PPE as needed. I also ensure that residents are performing hand hygiene after toileting and at meal times, and as necessary.

Carmen

By doing these common, daily tasks really contribute to the health and safety of yourself, staff and patients.

Carmen

To support effective cleaning and disinfection, I can:
      -Disinfect the high touch surfaces (ie. desk, chair, keyboard, mouse) and let the cleaning agent is left on the surface for the recommended amount of contact time before wiping the surface
      -Practice proper hand hygiene; practice proper handwashing and use hand sanitizer as needed
      -Keep an eye on the availability of cleaning supply and sanitizer and notify the appropriate person if needed
      -Dispose waste properly

Jelyn

To maintain an effective cleaning and disinfection, I ensure that I am using the proper cleaning disinfectant. Before and after touching surfaces, proper hand hygiene should always be practiced. Also, be aware of how and when to use alcohol-based and soap-water-based washing. Follow the colour coding of waste disposal in disposing of any waste garbage.

Antoinette

Hello, thank you for your post!

I agree with you, using the proper disinfectant is so important! Also I noticed that some nurses may not realize that certain infections require disinfecting with different products for example, patient’s with c.diff require a bleach product for disinfectant equipment. Also hands should be washed with soap and water rather than sanitizer only. Lastly, there is a waiting period depending on the disinfectant for when you should use the equipment again after disinfecting (e.g. 30-60 seconds).

Babita

At the beginning of each shift, cleaning your work areas such as keywords, desk, hard surfaces like handles, knobs, and instruments like vitals machine helps reduce transmission of disease.

Patrice

Always practice proper hand hygiene by washing my hands with soap and water or using hand sanitizer. Always dispose of medical waste, such as used needles and sharp objects, in designated bins according to the policy of the facility.

Ayotunde

Hi Antoinette,
        Doing all the things mentioned above can help minimize the transmission of pathogens.
        I can imagine if all healthcare providers will do the same even though we know sometimes things can get very busy in places like hospitals and we all can achieve a better result as a team.The Long-term homes where I currently do my placement have cleaners who go about at intervals to clean and disinfect door knobs,equipements and other parts of the patient rooms.

Josephine

At my facility, we would clean when changing shifts and during our shifts regularly. We were reminded to read and follow the directions on the label of new disinfecting products to ensure safe and effective use and disposal and to wear the appropriate PPE to protect our skin and eyes. Clean and disinfect tools and equipment before and after each use and perform proper hand hygiene.

Nkechi

Hello Josephine,

Clean and disinfecting tools and equipment before and after each use is an essential way to combat the transfer and spread of bacteria and unhealthy infections

Antoinette

At my work place I routinely disinfect the equipment I use on my patients for example, vitals machine, my stethoscope, bladder scanner and glucometer. Additionally some areas can be missed such as our work phones and desks keyboards, desks and phones at the nursing station. Therefore I do disinfect the ones I use each shift. Lastly if there is a room where patients are using the same commode I disinfect it between before and after my patient’s use. During my shift, if i have downtime, I see which disinfectants are empty and I throw it in the garbage and replace it with a new one.

Patrice

Hi Antoinette
      Taking the initiative to disinfect your equipment and make sure there are always disinfectants during your shift is crucial to reduce the risk of transmitting infection. Keep up the work!

Ayotunde

Supporting effective cleaning and disinfectant in my workplace is done by performing hand hygiene before and after every contact this has been very helpful and it’s easy because there are alcohol-based hand sanitizers all over the walls within easy reach, even for visitors and healthcare workers.

I make sure I do hand hygiene after every move and when my hands are visibly soiled I resort to soap and water,I also make sure I wash my hands properly with soap and water before I start medication administration or feed any resident.

Olusola

Well-done Ayotunde!
        Timely and correct technique of hand hygiene can never be overemphasized. A simple act that can save lots of efforts and resources.

Nkechi

Nkechi
      some ways I can ensure effective cleaning and disinfection practices at your workplace are:
      Promote Hand Hygiene:
      Emphasize the importance of hand hygiene as a critical component of infection prevention. Ensure that hand sanitizer dispensers are readily available in key areas.

Implement Environmental Controls:
      Consider implementing environmental controls, such as ventilation systems, to support a cleaner and safer environment. Adequate ventilation can help reduce the concentration of airborne pathogens.

Encourage Open Communication:
      Foster a culture of open communication where staff members feel comfortable reporting concerns or suggesting improvements related to cleaning and disinfection practices.

Stay Informed About Emerging Pathogens:
      Stay updated on the latest information regarding infectious diseases and adjust cleaning protocols accordingly. This is particularly important during outbreaks or when new pathogens are identified.
      Use Approved Disinfectants:
      Ensure that the cleaning products and disinfectants used in your workplace are approved by relevant health authorities. Verify that they are effective against the specific pathogens of concern.

Olusola

I will ensure that disinfecting supplies and hand sanitizers at specific spots never run out. It is usually easy for the supplies not to be made or re-filled which might cause a moment or two of giving care without cleaning and might have dire consequences.

Maria

I always support and ensure the disinfectant and cleaning all surfaces are continuing process . Having a routine practice to prevent any portal of entry for any diseases.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.