• This Discussion Thread has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Olusola.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Reflection question: Immunization programs are highly effective and are a critical component of the OHS program. Do you think immunizations should be mandatory for health care workers? Discuss why or why not with evidence to support your position.

Jelyn

In my opinion, every healthcare provider who has direct contact with the patient should get immunized. As we all know, healthcare workers are at high risk of exposure to any diseases. Although proper hand hygiene and proper use of PPE is the backbone of infection control, it is also important that healthcare workers are immunized to protect themselves from acquiring diseases and if a healthcare provider gets ill without knowing it or asymptomatic, it can pass on to the patient. This topic has a big conflict and argument as each of us has our own opinion and point of view when it comes to mandatory immunization. This is the ethical dilemma that healthcare workers are facing.

Josephine

I do agree with you it is the backbone of infection control.

Patrice

Jeyln, I completely agree! It is important for healthcare providers to prioritize immunization not only for their own safety but also for the well-being of their patients especially considering the significant risk of exposure, within a healthcare environment.

Babita

I have had the opportunity to perform vaccines to all ages when I worked in primary care. I saw the importance of receiving vaccines and following schedule set forth by ministry of health.

Ayotunde

You are very correct, the benefits of vaccines cannot be over-emphasized.

Patrice

I think that immunization should be mandatory for all healthcare workers because vaccines help to minimize and prevent certain illnesses or diseases such as the flu which can be spread from one person to another in the healthcare environment. Therefore, if all healthcare workers are vaccinated this accounts for fewer sick days and a stronger, more reliable healthcare team.

Josephine

I think it should be mandatory. Once you are employed or volunteer in a healthcare organization, vaccinations should be a requirement. Being vaccinated can protect us against many infections, if it is not done, then that leaves us to be vulnerable to illnesses.

Carmen

I agree with you. Mandatory vaccinations for healthcare workers are crucial for personal and public protection. It’s a must for maintaining a safe healthcare environment.

Carmen

I think immunizations should be mandatory for healthcare workers especially for those working with the vulnerable population. It’s not just about safeguarding yourself, but also your colleagues and patients. Immunization programs have been proven to help effectively minimize the risk of transmitting infectious diseases. It’s all about minimizing risks and doing what’s best for public health.

Antoinette

I agree with you that protecting yourself, family, colleagues and patients is an important part of this decision.

Brittany

I like that you address safety for worker as well as aclient. I think most times we are focused on our clients which is fine we are healthcare workers but if we are not keeping our safety in mind at the same time this affects the clients well being as shortages are imminent without thinking of ourselves as well.

Antoinette

This is an ethical dilemma and I am very open to hearing both sides. According to the research immunizations do prevent the contraction and spread of infections which is why it is a mandatory requirement for nurses in many settings.

Catherine

I agree that it is an ethical dilemma. On one hand, I strongly believe that immunization is important for all health care workers, as we never know what we may be exposed to. On the other hand, I personally feel that in some cases (ie:Covid) there is ‘too many hands in the pot’. I have received the first 3 original Covid shots, but personally choose not to receive any further Covid vaccines. My home is currently in Covid outbreak, and I am doing my due diligence in using PPE properly and supporting my fellow staff in the same. I believe that some circumstances should be left to personal moral choice.

Marilyn
      Keymaster

Excellent conversation. IPAC is truly a team effort!

Brittany

Brittany- I do believe In right to choose, that being said when it comes to signing up to be a healthcare provider I believe you need to take all precautions available to keep your clients safe. In this case immunizations. Now where it started getting iffy is is with the Covid vaccine there have been too many options it is too new to determine what’s effective and I don’t feel that that should be a must for healthcare workers at this time, as long term implications are not known. I think that for this particular immunization we should have a choice until there’s more proof that it is providing client safety as well as health care worker safety.

Olusola

The point of having a choice is very important and delicate. But when healthcare workers absolutely distrust new developments that are well researched and peer reviewed by their very colleagues, how do we get the public to trust other processes that has been established to prevent people from getting sick?

Ayotunde

I think immunizations should be mandatory for all healthcare workers. Where is the empathy in us when we cannot compromise and do our best to support the most vulnerable among us, why do we have to allow them to get infected and suffer even when we are asymptomatic?
      We all need to know the benefits of immunizations even for our immediate families and ensure we all partake to curb every illness as much as we can.

Olusola

I strongly think immunization should not only be mandatory but embraced by all health care workers for different reasons. The major reason would be to protect themselves and others from infectious diseases. Anyone who’s willing to help others get well should not have a problem protecting themselves and others with immunization. Although some immunizations are relatively new and HCW may be anxious to receive them, records and trends has shown how well various past immunizations had worked well in stemming diseases and keeping people safe. Another reason would be to instill faith in the public. When a HCW is reluctant or refused outrightly to receive immunization, the public gets a negative signal and might even distrust all other immunizations that has proven to be effective which will not help the HCW functions altogether. It is a fine to refuse immunization, but maybe such individual should choose another profession.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.