• This Discussion Thread has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Monika.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Do you believe there is a difference between managers and leaders? Explain your position and provide examples.

Janet

“In my experience, there’s a definite difference between managers and leaders. Managers often adopt a ‘do as I say’ approach, reluctant to questions or feedback that could challenge their decisions—even if those decisions prove unsuccessful. Feedback from them tends to feel more like personal criticism rather than constructive input on performance. They rarely admit mistakes and often shift blame onto the team when things go wrong.
      On the other hand, leaders are adaptable and value the opinions of their team members. They make decisions that benefit both the team and the company, listening attentively and seeking areas for personal and team improvement. Throughout my career, I’ve worked under various supervisors and managers, and I’ve found that I perform best under leaders who appreciate my efforts, respect my opinions, and consider my suggestions.
      I’ve encountered situations where managers push for changes without considering how they impact the team or individuals involved, leading to dissatisfaction and reduced effectiveness. I’ve learned to appreciate leaders who are approachable and calm rather than authoritative, as they create environments with fewer mistakes and better overall work experiences.”

Carmen

I agree that there is a difference between managers and leaders. Leaders create a supportive environment while managers often focus on directives. I’ve also found working under leaders who value and respect the team input to have better effectiveness.

Carmen

Yes, I think there’s a difference between managers and leaders. For me, a manager is someone who focuses more on structure and the tasks that lead to a certain goal, whereas a leader is someone who has the ability to influence and motivate others to work towards a certain goal by creating a vision and prioritizing the people. I’ve had instances where a manager has been a leader by demonstrating empathy, fostering collaboration, and inspiring the team to exceed goals. So it is possible to be both a manager and a leader.

Alhasan

Completely agree! When you have the good fortune to encounter someone who embodies both roles, demonstrating empathy, fostering collaboration, and inspiring the team to exceed goals, that is indeed someone you want in your workplace. Those individuals not only ensure that operations run smoothly but also inspire their team to achieve excellence and drive positive change. This combination of skills is invaluable and greatly enhances the overall work environment.

Melissa

Yes, I believe there is a difference between leaders and management. From my experience working as a manger in the food industry and now as an RPN in a leadership role I believe leader’s are adaptable to their environment and are very team orientated. Leaders tend to value their team’s input and opinions. Which in turn builds a trusting relationship amongst the team. They tend to make their decisions based on what’s best for their team and company as a whole. Managers often make decisions that may only benefit their company. From experience they don’t really care for their team’s input and opinions and rarely listen to them causing lack of trust and dissatisfaction from their employees. Managers also take on a more of a “do what I say” role and often disagree or don’t listen to the Teams input as they don’t want to be wrong. Leaders tend to provide coaching in the moment to their team members and don’t put them down for what they have done but rather look at it as a teaching moment. Managers tend to. Provide constructive criticism and put blame on their employees when something has gone wrong leading to lack of trust and employees not wanting to approach management.

Rebecca

Hi Melissa,

I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you and can appreciate how you described a manager being a “do what I say” and leaders’ approach in a coaching style, I am witness to this on the daily and see management making decisions based on what will benefit the company as opposed to their team. Again, something I see within my area of work as well.

Alhasan

Yes, I believe there is a distinct difference between managers and leaders. However, when these roles are combined effectively, the result is truly seamless and exemplary.

Managers in my experience are primarily task-oriented, focusing on duties such as scheduling, budgeting, ensuring compliance with regulations, and managing the day-to-day operations of the unit. Their role is essential for maintaining the smooth and efficient functioning of the workplace, ensuring that everything runs as it should.

Leaders, on the other hand, take on a more inspirational role. They create a positive work environment by encouraging education, advocating for staff and client needs, and striving for improvements in patient care and staff welfare. Leaders not only ensure compliance with existing regulations but also advocate for policy changes that enhance these regulations, driving the organization towards continual improvement. Leaders are the individuals you want on the floor that will take what you say and take action with it.

In essence, while managers handle the operational aspects, leaders focus on fostering growth, motivation, and innovation within the team and the workplace. Both roles are crucial, and their integration leads to a well-balanced and thriving healthcare environment.

Rebecca

I believe there is a difference between managers and leaders, although there are many similarities and traits the two roles are indeed different. A manager focuses on planning and organizing to ensure there is efficiency and productivity and a leader focuses on the abilities to motivate and drive the productivity. In my position I seek support from management when needing to confirm policies and procedures and as a supervisor I lead my team and support in all aspects to ensure the day-to-day is achievable.

Claire

Hi Rebecca,

I love how you describe yourself as a leader on the floor with your staff and connect with your managers in regards to policies and procedures. I have always typically thought of the “leader” is the one at the front of the organization, such as the ED, as those on the floor guiding the day to day as the “managers” who follow the “leader”. But you are absolutely right that those on the floor are leading the team. My team lead is leading me as much as my DOC or ED are. Those working shoulder to shoulder with the front line staff are guiding and encouraging them through the obstacles and struggles of the work day. That I believe is a “leader”.

Thanks for the post 🙂 Lots to think of!

Kristina

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I enjoyed reading it. I agree with what you said in this post, I liked your description of what a manager looked like in your eyes. Managers will always know the “background” information and offer support in that way. I know in my workplace, My managers really emphasize the fact that the RN need to be leading and supporting the RPN’s and then for the RPN’s to be leading and guiding the PSW’s. I feel like this algorithm is set in place for managers to maintain a balanced “flow” in the workplace.

Sherri

I believe there is a small difference. For example an ambulance has just arrived at the hospital. The ER triage nurse follows the organizations prioritization levels. Seeing that another patient suddenly takes a turn for the worse, the Nurse take matters into her own hands and takes the patient back into a pod, despite any repercussions. Nurse managing, yet is a leader. Please excuse my limited vocabulary as this is all new to me, and its been awhile since my school years. I also believe there is no right or wrong answer.

Claire

Hello Everyone! This is Claire.

Prior to completing the exercises and required readings in the initial module of this course , I had more of a “black and white” concept of what I felt were the roles and differences of a manager vs. a leader. I realize that this course and its content/discussions are going to broaden my knowledge and understanding profoundly!

I felt that leaders were those in a position at an organization who developed policy, missions and vision in collaboration with other high level influencers. I saw them as separate and somewhat inaccessible to front line staff, with their decisions and actions “trickling down” to managers and staff. An example of this could be if a decision was made to integrate two elements of an organization to create a new more holistic model of care, a “leader” in collaboration with a board would have come to this decision and its elements/goals/missions, not a “manager”.

I saw managers as those of “us” elevated to roles who mission was to manage the actions of the workers to achieve expectations/goals of the leaders. The managers were the ones accountable for ensuring the success of the leaders decision. An example of this related to the previous example of model of care redirection could be that managers would be the ones to organize opportunities for collaboration, ensure completion of tasks determined to support the goal and provide evidence based updates to leaders about the success of their new vision..

Sherri

This is true managers handle the actions of others to achieve expectations and success of their leaders. I also believe Rebecca makes a good point.

Ruth

I do believe there is a difference between managers and leaders.  First of all, they do not share the same meaning. As the name suggests, leaders are those who lead team members towards a certain goal. Or success.  While managers manage employees, aim for success. Leadership involves planning, organizing, implementing, and controlling resources to achieve a certain goal, motivating and encouraging new ideas, and working toward long-term strategic objectives.  However, managers are vital in maintaining operational efficiencies, ensuring tasks are completed, resources are optimized, short term objectives are met, and  facilitating day-to-day activities. 

Logan

I think there is a difference between managers and leaders.
      In experience having a good manager often came with them being a good leader. And I know not all managers are leaders but I again from my experience I wanted a manager that is not going to talk at me but leads and motivates me to be better. Managers are mentors for leaders, how does one mentor without being a leader?

Managers that I have worked for are there to manage/oversee the unit/facility/team etc. from a distance. They are often not part of direct care or frontline in anyway. They are found “behind the scenes”/in their office usually. Managers usually are seen on units in there is a need for them to be involved, debriefing after a code, checking in to see that the unit is managing/functioning enough otherwise they are there to resolve short term goals within a timely manager but have long term outcomes. Managers are designed to give direction, appoint someone as a leader to ensure tasks get done, reward/acknowledge good work ethic and provide active feedback when necessary. Managers usually have their “go to” leadership team such as a Charge Nurse or a few a specific people. These leaders would assist with the moment needs, provide education/demonstrate skills/knowledge/practice, motivation others and offer validation/feedback etc. and in the event there are concerns or changes would be beneficial for the manager to be involved, the leadership team would then communicate that need for them.

As for leaders: Nurses lead daily or at least we should be. We are providing care and on-going education for those in our care, as well as their families/loved ones. This doesn’t stay within client care though, together we should help other and often comes with someone who mentors another. As a team there are more than one leader, and each person has their own unique way of demonstrating what that looks like. For me, I want to be a leader and with great communication, showing accountability, empathy not just for those in my care but those on my team. To remain goal oriented, finding ways together to improve practice/profession with measurable outcomes. By being a team player and remaining humble through it all.

Barinder

I believe there is a vast difference between managers and leaders. The role of a manager is closely tied with the representation of an authority figure. This includes ensuring duties/tasks are being completed and overlooking daily processes. On the other hand, leaders enable growth and ‘outside the box’ thinking, in order to reach a common goal.

Allison

Yes, there is a significant difference between managers and leaders, though the two roles can overlap. Managers are primarily focused on maintaining and optimizing existing systems and processes within an organization. Their key responsibilities often include planning, budgeting, organizing, staffing, controlling, and problem-solving, ensuring that day-to-day operations run smoothly and efficiently. Managers tend to concentrate on short-term goals and the immediate needs of the organization, following established procedures and protocols. Examples of managers include project managers who ensure projects are completed on time and within budget, and operations managers who oversee the production process in manufacturing plants.

Leaders, on the other hand, are more concerned with inspiring and guiding people toward a vision of the future. They motivate and influence others, often challenging the status quo and encouraging innovation. Leaders focus on long-term goals and strategic direction, fostering an environment where people feel empowered to achieve their full potential. Examples of leaders include Steve Jobs, who inspired his team at Apple Inc. to create groundbreaking products, and Nelson Mandela, who inspired a nation with his vision of equality and reconciliation. While managers focus on processes and systems with a task-oriented perspective, leaders focus on people and vision with a strategic perspective, seeking to innovate and drive change. Effective organizations often require a blend of strong management and inspirational leadership to succeed.

Kristina

Hello,

I believe that there is a different between managers and leaders. Since working in healthcare, I have observed that anyone can be a manager, but not everyone can be a leader. When I think of the term “manager”, three words come to my mind, which is “rule layer” “boss” “delegator”. When I think of the word “leader”, the three words that come to my mind are “assertive” “inclusive” “active listener”.

I believe that managers are the more “background” people. They are there when things get really tough, and high end decisions need to be made. They plan and work with other managers in the background, focusing on short term goals that will result in long term results. They can be supportive to their staff, offering acknowledgement to their staff, providing constructive feedback when appropriate, and debriefing when an event arises, such as a code or situation within the workplace that is of importance to discuss; for example; safety reasons for patients and staff.

A leader to me is someone who is upfront and can lead with elegance and a strong presence. As an example, I will use my charge nurse at my place of work, she is the eyes and ears of the unit(s). I think of my charge nurse at work, who works diligently to provide supportive nursing care to her staff and residents. My charge nurse finalizes decisions, works together with other nursing staff on the unit, offers help when asked / needed, provides a safe learning environment for all to be educated and learn, and is confident in her decisions as she trusts herself. I believe seeing a leader who is confident in themself is what will allow for others to willingly follow in their direction.

I think when it comes to the topic of “healthcare” specifically, I have the confidence that managers & leaders have the same end goal; and that is to provide a safe, kind and respected place for people to receive their care needs, it might just be handled in different ways.

Monika

Hello,

I do believe there is a difference between managers and leaders however, I believe individuals can function as both a leader and a manager. I believe both roles need each other to maintain and operate a successful business.

As stated in the article “Understanding the Theory of Leading, Following and Managers”, Leaders are creative, innovative and risk takers and managers take few risks, maintain status-quo and do things right such as enforce organizational policies and standards, safe work structures etc. The owner of the construction company I work for is a leader. He has been able to grow the business because he is a risk taker, innovative and able to see opportunities where most people can not. I am a “manager” with the company. Managers are usually the “bad guy”. I must ensure all policies, procedures and safety measures are taken and followed in order to protect staff , visitors on site and compliance with Federal and Provincial labor and safety laws. We make an excellent team because he is able to help me grow in my creativity, adaptability and social skills however, I am able to keep our leader organized, operate with Ontario human rights laws and safety codes and deal directly with difficult staff, customers and complaints. We need each other.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.