• This Discussion Thread has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 3 days ago by Larissa.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Pick one of the Leadership characteristics in the chapter you read above that you feel is the most important in a leader. Describe a personal situation about yourself or a leader that supports why you feel that characteristic is the most important.

Valerie

The most important trait for a leader is someone who is co-operative. Leaders guide the tasks of others and delegate, but someone who is willing to work along side you regardless of the task at hand is very important.

The population of students that I work with often struggles with a variety of mental health issues due to poverty and domestic violence. These students will often lash out at staff who they normally have a good and trusting relationship with when they are frustrated and lose control of their emotions. This can put us in some dangerous situations at points. I felt very supported by the teacher I worked with last year. She always got in on these tough situations to help us out and keep everyone safe and calm the situation. I compare that to this year where I feel the opposite is true. I think the teacher I work with this year is just not willing to deal with students who are struggling, and I have felt unsupported and unsafe at points.

Samantha

I think that leading by example is one of the most important characteristics of a leader. I feel like by encompassing most of the other characteristics (good judgement, physical stamina, understanding followers needs and work effectively with them, inspiring a shared vision – to name a few), and setting a good example is much more effective at getting people to become good leaders themselves, then it would be just telling them what to do. Part of being a good leader is to encourage others to become good leaders so seeing a good leader in action teaches and inspires the followers so that they too have the skills and potential to be a good leader too.

Melissa

I believe that leading by example and adaptability are important traits in a leader.

As my current role is supervising PSWs and Clients providing/receiving home care; I am often in the home with the PSWs for support visits, delegations, care plan reviews and assessments.
      I often say that they are the eyes and ears in our clients home day to day, and acknowledge how much I/the company relies on them for their day to day care/support, observations and reporting of concerns/condition changes, etc

I need to ensure that I am arriving with my required supplies, equipment, PPE etc
      I need to demonstrate to the PSWs and Clients that I am confident and knowledgeable in the care/support/services being provided and also be flexible to know when the ‘norm’ may not work for either the PSW or the client and be adaptable to both the PSWs input and the clients preferences, within the limitations of the guidelines

I often say that the relationship between the PSW/Client/Myself is like a Dance; sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow and sometimes that music may change and the tempo goes up or down, in the end it comes down to adaptability

Christianna

I believe that self-confidence is the most important characteristic of a leader. Being confident helps you recognize and appreciate who you are, your strengths and what you can accomplish. It helps to keep you motivated when things go wrong. It helps you overcome anxiety and self-doubt. It helps to focus on your competence and capabilities. It helps build the trust of others and they see you as dependable.

Confidence is contagious. In the same way that confidence helps you, it will help your team to stay motivate and focused. Confidence is developed and as you have developed your confidence you can help others develop theirs.

I currently am a lead for a small project and when I come to a meeting prepared, confident and knowledgeable the meeting is more successful than if anxiety gets the better of me and I fumble around with words and thoughts. When I doubt myself, or forget how capable I am, others in the meeting question the process and the trust within the team begins to be questioned. Confidence reminds you that you can achieve your goals and allows others to be able to see your talents and skills.

Kelsey

I feel the most important characteristic is being diplomatic and tactful. I think there’s something to be said about leaders who can read the room, and then present their opinions and ideas without harming the relationship between themselves and the audience/patient or the tone of the conversation. I have watched a particular leader that I work with who is always successful when deescalating complaints from patients. She listens to the concerns, she remains approachable with her body language, and when she responds she does it in a manner that is respectful yet effective.

Sharon

The discussions here are so enlightening! I’m enjoying that you are all finding different characteristics to prioritize. I think that so much of that is influenced by past leaders and how they impacted you, or possibly the situation that you find yourself working in as well can impact what characteristics you would prioritize. Very insightful. Thanks!

Brenda

This is a tough one, but I think it is self confidence. A leaders must know themselves, their skills and weaknesses. Your confidence will be a strength to you coworkers. Someone needs to be in a lead role and be there to aid and support others either patients or staff. Having experience and wisdom aids on confidence. Though, I can definitely see the points of view for other traits others have chosen.

Grazielle

Though I don’t think there is one MOST important trait in a leader, because a great leader should have a holistic approach to leadership but based on my current role – I believe an exceptional leader in our team should be dependable.

My current manager shows this trait exceptionally. Whenever me or my colleagues come across an issue or we start to feel overwhelmed, we can always count on her to reach out to us, see how we’re doing, and she offers support to us – be it through helping us with the task it self OR she helps us brain storm a solution. She makes it a priority to be in frequent communication with us and she encourages us to reach out to her if we ever need help. She also follows through on commitments she makes to the team and to the job

Katrina

I believe that one of the most powerful traits of a Leader is the Ability to Motivate others. Leaders are compassionate of visions, strategic plans and looking beyond what was historically done. When a Leader is able to motivate others it allows them to instill belief and visionary people alongside of them, instilling traits of a good leader. When you others see your visions as a leader and values, Leaders are able to motivate others to a positive change. By watching a Leader motivate others it inspires them (followers/co-workers) to move change and become a part of a growing plan to work towards positive changes. People tend to follow and learn.

An example of this in my personal life: I have a team of 15 staff, some who pose leadership skills, some who are learning leadership skills along the way, some are visionaries , some are not. Twice a year I host teaming days, I make it fun and interactive for all the staff, motivating them to help see beyond what we are currently doing. We discuss where we are, where we see us going, and what we need to do to get there. I do weekly meetings where staff point out positive traits of another staff. This has been very effective in motivating each other.

Nicole

I believe one of the most appreciated characteristics of a leader is to be dependable. As a nurse working with unstable patients, its nice to have second opinions and just know someone has your back. Every critical situation I have experienced, my team lead was there to back me up. No matter the situation she always made people feel supported, even when its not regarding patients. She is also willing to jump in and assist when there is a staffing shortage, she is an inspirational team lead.

Larissa

In reading the chapter the characteristics that stood out to me as being vital for a leader were the interpersonal skills like understanding follower’s needs, being able to motivate people, ability to work well with others and mentor. Without strength in communication none of these would be possible. There is a certain level of intuition and caring that a leader must possess to achieve all of these which is what other people see and want to follow, and all of this can only be shown through strong communication. In the past I’ve felt that I worked under good leaders when they motivated me and were strong communicators, leading by their actions, words, expressing what they wanted in an inspiring way, and giving me appropriate feedback which only served to encourage me to strive for more

Valerie

For sure being accountable is a good trait in a leader. Leaders are smart, caring, compassionate, have good vision, and many great abilities, but they are still human and humans make mistakes.

When one can admit to their mistakes and lead by example by learning from them so that others avoid similar mistakes in the future, that is a sign of a true leader.

Samantha

I love this answer! We are humans and all make mistakes but it can be hard for a lot of us to own up to them and some don’t quite know how. I feel like there is a mature way of being accountable and the more people can see that reflected in a good leader, the more likely they are to learn how to and also do it themselves.

Rebecca

Hard to pick…such a good list
      I think self-confidence. Definition- is an attitude about your skills and abilities. You accept and trust yourself and have a sense of control in your life. You know your strengths and weaknesses well and have a positive view of yourself. You set realistic goals, communicate well and can handle criticism.
      Through work experience, great mentors, and leaders my confidence has built over time.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.