• This Discussion Thread has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 1 week ago by Jennifer.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

After reading and watching the video on the six sources of influence, post on the discussion forum what you feel personally has had the greatest impact when it comes to influence and why.

Erin

I feel motivation is essential to any change idea. Someone could be capable at adapting to the change, but if they lack the motivation or they perceive that the effort/work needed to put into the change isn’t worth it, it will be hard to get that person to participate in the change. There can also be a mentality of “if it isn’t broken don’t fix it.”

Tania

This was a difficult one for me. I feel that they each play a part when it comes to influence, as each person responds differently and have different needs depending on their own person social determinants of health. Barriers need to be removed to help people move forward.

Structural Motivation. This is regarding a change from “in person appointments” to phone appointments in the early days of Covid.
      This has taken a toll on some people. Tying to influence change quickly, health teaching related to Covid 19 and keeping people safe, including the staff. Trying to get people to understand that our Doctors and Nurses need to keep serving the public to reduce hospital over load, and keep people healthy. If the clinic becomes infected, there will be no one to look after the clients. Trying to decide who comes into clinic and when to keep everyone safe was and still is a delicate balance

Tania

How true Erin. Motivation is a difficult one. We would hope that we could all be “self motivated” however that is not always the case. Interesting how you said “the change isn’t worth it” as we have seen a lot of that in recent times. Funny how we need change, yet can be so difficult at times

Lena

The greatest source of influence for me would be motivation. However, social ability comes close. I’m learning about myself knowing that I need more than motivation, I need social ability. Yes, I must be motivated to change, I need to want to change. I also need social ability; I feel it plays a big part for me to succeed and be successful. Social ability gives me the ability to lean and learn from each other, to throw ideas and thoughts around, to hear different perspectives on how to do things and to continue without giving up and to encourage each other not to lose focus on the big picture and to continue to move forward.

Jennifer

Lena I so agree. I am similar I need motivation. However I also need the input from the social ability to hear ideas and thoughts from other.

Jennifer

I can really relate to the statements made in the readings. “At the end of the day a person asks, Can I do what’s required? and, Will it be worth it?” These are really the only two statements that enter my mind when I am asked to change. This is what influences how I change and if I want to change.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.