• This Discussion Thread has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 1 week ago by xyz shreya.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Post in the online forum your thoughts on the area you need to develop and what you can do to enhance your EI skills.

Melanie

After completing the quiz, the area I need to develop is the social awareness/social skills. I am used to working alone and staying focused on the tasks at hand. I have great rapport with the HCP’s I work with but I get frustrated and annoyed very quickly with peers or colleagues who don’t make good use of their time or “slack off”. I am aware that I use a lot of abbreviations and slang or jargon which I should avoid as many times those who are receiving the communication don’t understand the content or, get confused. I need to pay more attention to my approach and my body language as well as the other person’s body language. I also need to find a more productive way to deal with my internal conflicts. I need to be more understanding and patient by spending more time listening to what the other person is saying instead of thinking about my response. These are all areas that I can work to improve on and start making changes and correcting the behaviour.

Sandra

Working in the health care field we all need to listen to one another but I get that it can frustrating at times. I am the same way also wondering what some staff are doing with their time but there will always be those ones who “slack off” at work and we will just have to accept it unless management will do something about it. I have learned to just do myself first and help others as they need it.

Sandra

My area for improvement is self management. I tend to say what I am thinking without thinking about what I am going to say first. I have a lot of opinions on the way things run at work and I always speak my mind. Sometimes after I think to myself “did I just say that”. I have to learn to step back for a minute and think about what I am going to say when it comes to staff, management etc. That’s my biggest area for improvement.

Andrea

I think we all speak before we edit sometimes. When dealing with patients I do not have an issue but with others I tend not to edite as much. I too will need to learn to take a moment before speaking in front of staff.

Heather

I completed the quiz which was interesting. I can think of a few areas where I need to work on. The one area I need to work on is avoiding conflict. I deal with things I need to but I am very uncomfortable dealing with conflict. I need to work on this because almost every week I have to bring a worker in for not doing their job or for not showing up without notice. I also need to work on self management, because some times I say something that I regret saying. In general, the main area I wish to work on is conflict avoidance.

Andrea

My areas for improvement all seem to relate to follow through. I find it hard to focus on things over the long term, and difficult to move on when feeling frustrated or unhappy. While I do occasionally set long term goals for myself I never seem to get around to reviewing my progress.
      I often feel very self conscious when I realize I have “let things slide” instead of following up. I need to work on setting aside time for regular follow ups and follow throughs as I think I may be sending a message to others that although I hear their initial concerns I do not find them improtant enough to follow up on. I do not wish to send this message as it is not how I feel, it is simply a bad habit I have developed.

Maame

After completion of the quiz my emotional intelligence level is okay. Results stated I probably have good relationships with some of my colleagues, but others may be more difficult to work with. In addition, the results stated that I have a great opportunity to improve my working relationships significantly. I need to improve self-regulation and social skills. At times within the workplace I encounter some staff that are difficult to commuincate with and just don’t want to listen, I then will begin to get irritated. I am aware that irritation isn’t the answer to solving the problem instead taking a breather and regulating my emotions so that they don’t affect my work relations is important.

xyz shreya

test

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.