• This Discussion Thread has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 day, 10 hours ago by Erin.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Post in the online forum your thoughts on the area you need to develop and what you can do to enhance your EI skills.

Susan

I was extremely surprised that I got a score of 4 out of 4 on the quiz. In really thinking and reflecting I think the area I need to work on is my working under pressure, and asking for help. Since changing jobs I’ve found myself so much more adaptable and able to perform under pressure but I think by trying to stop and recognize the stress will help me perform even better. I also think that if I ask for help before it gets too stressful there will be less pressure.

Lindsay

It’s great that you identified “asking for help” as an area of improvement for yourself, because it is SO important and nothing to be ashamed of!! If anything, it shows that you care about your work and want to assure that you are doing things safely and effectively. When I was new at my job, I asked for help all the time and now I am a much more knowledgeable fertility nurse because of it.

John-paul

Hi Susan,

I think it’s great that you identified taking a pause in the stressful situation may help you handle it better. I know for myself, it has been very important to develop strategies for managing stress and I encourage you to be intentional about using this strategy.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Lindsay

In the quiz on EI I scored a 3/4, and to be honest the summary of my score made perfect sense to me. A big part that stuck out and rang true was “you often think you are capable of achieving more than you actually have” which is something I have been self conscious about for awhile. I could essentially use this post as an emotional journal entry (haha) and really dive deep here, but I’ll keep it more on the lighter side instead of poor my feelings out! But when it comes to improving upon this area of self development – ie: achieving goals and pushing myself, I need to hold myself more accountable. Knowing that pushing myself to be more inquisitive and ambitious both within my work life and personal life would make me a happier person should be enough to motivate me to do so. But why is it not? I’ve known this about myself for a long time and I think it’s time I change my ways! The question is – how? Well, I’m a new mother of a 1 year old little boy who is my motivation. I want him to look up to his mom and be in wonder of how much she has accomplished and for him to want the same great things for himself. I will use him as my motivation.

Jeanette

Lindsay,
        I really enjoyed reading you self refection and emotional journal entry!
        It’s so funny, when my kids were little I would often think “will they think I have done enough in my career that they would be proud”.
        I have a cop as a husband and when my kids were really little it was so much about daddy’s job with all the cool stories and accomplishments he made as they were more visible (doing K9, Being a detective, on the SWAT team) but now they are grown and they tell me often they are proud to have the neighborhood nurse as a mom.
        I can can say that little boy will always be watching you and your right, is is the best motivation to always being your best you.

John-paul

Hi Lindsay,

Thank you for being open about your experience and being vulnerable with the group. That’s not always easy, however I really like that we can share our experiences with each other, even if that’s not always easy. I think it can be a little therapeutic in some ways and helps us identify ways we can set and work towards our goals.

This is something that I have struggled with in the past. I often compare myself to others accomplishments and if every minute of the day is not filled with something, I feel that I am not being productive. I have to remind myself that the time we have in our day that is un-filled with specific things is still being occupied by important things like working through our thoughts, taking time for self-care or self-reflection and this often leaves time for me to help others; if my day is jam packed all the time, I don’t have time for other people , which is something I value. When I am able to help out, it gives me energy and “fills my cup”.

I want to encourage you in saying that you are already so productive; you have a 1-year old and I am sure many other responsibilities that you didn’t mention. It’s easy to be hard on ourselves; we’re often our own harshest critics. It is important to set goals and work towards them, but remember that it’s not a race; we all have a different path and I think we should try to find joy in the journey getting there.

Thanks again for sharing!

Tamara

In the EI quiz I scored 3/4.
      The first thing it says is that I’m doing “fairly well”. In the grand scheme of things- what does that mean? I was surprised by that because I thought I would be better than that.
      But I read on and it says I am “generally in a good mood”. And to see that means I have come a long way.
      Not that I outwardly would show that I wasn’t in a good mood but without going into detail -the trauma in past relationships certainly affected my mood for a long time but to see it on paper means a lot.
      I’m not surprised that it also said “that you feel you are capable of doing/achieving more than you have”.
      For a long time what you know is better than the unknown.
      In primary care you can get stagnate so to speak with the monotony of doing the same thing every day.
      But I also have the opportunity to do continuing education (that work pays for) so I am able to do a lot in my role here.
      Looking back at the statements I think I need to work on “understanding the way others see things”.
      Like I’ve said in previous posts I’m a get the job done kind of person without really thinking about it and I work with someone who goes into great deal of thinking before doing.
      I’m like that at home too. If I want something done I do it myself rather than taking the time to think about it and anything else that may go along with it.

John-paul

Hi Tamara,

I think you identified such an important point, and that is the importance of looking back to see how far we have come. It’s easy to get distracted by our day-to-day lives and not see the progress we have made. I think this is one of the many reasons self-reflection is so important! I hope you continue this progress and are able to continue reflecting on this progress in the future.

Thanks for sharing!

Maximo

The area that I need to improve is on how to express myself more openly, and to voice out my thoughts/opinion more openly. I usually would think multiple times before saying / doing anything to a point that in the end I hesitate too much speaking out.

If it will benefit everybody concerned then I should say something when the appropriate situation presents itself.

Susan

Hi Maximo,
        Reading your comment makes me think that this is also an area I could work on. I value the way that you take your time before responding, sometimes it is a good thing. Friday I had a situation where I was watching an email chain unfold and was feeling the same way that I may need to work on this because as a thinker I tend to read the messages and try to formulate a good response. Thankfully both my manager and CEO opened the floor to me and gave me some time to catch up and jump in because they know this is my leadership style and I don’t immediately give my thoughts because I like to really think about what I’m saying. Because of this it actually led to a policy change in how we manage medications errors moving forward.

John-paul

Hi Maximo,

Thank you for sharing this reflection on the quiz. I’m glad you were able to identify something that you can do differently. As you have reflected on how you process whether or not you should speak out, is there anything that you have identified prevents you from speaking out? Is it the time you take to think about what you will say, or do you think there is another reason that you hesitate to speak out? I’d be curious to hear your thoughts!

Tamara

Hey Maximo

I think I do the same thing. I have a lot to say sometimes but don’t.
        I think I take a step back and let everyone else say what they need to say.
        I think for me it’s part social anxiety.
        I tend to voice my opinion or express myself when I am extremely confident in what I am talking about.

Jeanette

I did both Quizzes.
      The First one EI quiz I scored a 4/4. It said Congratulations! Made me feel good and as I read on I really believe this is me. I am very optimistic and feel quite good about what I have accomplished in my life. I am doing very well and I know myself well and have developed healthy, sustaining relationships with others.
      After doing the second test where I scored a 60 I felt it was going to be way different but to my surprise it was not. It said Great! I am emotionally intelligent and have great relationships, and probably find that people approach you for advice. Which is very true then the end… However, it said when so many people admire your people skills, it’s easy to lose sight of your own needs.
      This did hit me, it is very true. So often I am so busy helping others and doing task to help that I often feel overwhelmed with all my on tasks as they pile up. I did get my task done but the stress I put on myself I could do with out! This is true in most aspects of my life My friends call on me and most time I offer help before I am asked.
      I need to learn to put my own needs a little higher to have a better balance in my work life and family life.

John-paul

Hi Jeanette,

I think you have a really good perspective on how you should put your needs “a little higher” in order to feel less overwhelmed and be able to manage your own tasks while helping others.

I think it can be easy to identify an area for improvement and try to make drastic change, which can almost move us too far in the other direction. I think it’s great that you are being realistic that if you make a small change, it will help keep things balanced.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this weeks discussion.

Erin

Hi Jeanette- your results were the exact same as mine and I can fully relate to the need to put our needs higher. I am the go to for so many at work and in life and it results in burnout and emotional exhaustion for me . At work people know I am dependable and will get the job done- it sometimes results in resentment for me towards others who don’t get called on or do as much . I appreciate you sharing and plan on using what I have learned t further work on myself and attitudes .

Makenzie

I ended up scoring a 3/4 on the EI quiz, the part that stuck out to me in the score description was “there are times when you feel you are capable of doing more than you have”. I think this sits with me is because I’m asked very often when I’m going back to school to bridge. And honestly I tell people the same thing each time- I really don’t think I want too. I am happy where I’m at, I struggle with school and am happy doing courses like this to improve my knowledge in hopes to open other doors for me in the future. In regards to areas I think I can improve on it would be, seeing the way others think and being open to change. Both are important and make everyone feel more part of the team as a whole, taking the time to reflect has been beneficial and would be in the future.

Erin

I did both quizzes above and got 4/4 on the first one and 60 on the other. I agree that I do really seem to forget my own needs while I am constantly focused on the needs of others. As a person in general I recognize myself as a people pleaser and try to do what is best for others often resulting in putting my needs last . I see this in the work place where I have provided ideas and input to make effective changes for the team as a whole but when given pushback I backdown pretty easily or avoid conflict. I would like to continue to work on my self confidence as a leader and this has helped me recognize my strengths and areas of needed improvement

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.