• This Discussion Thread has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 day, 6 hours ago by Roxanne.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Think about the term Scope of Practice. How would you define it?

Describe in your posting why the response “It depends” is correct for the question “Can RPNs do…?

Cynthia

The term scope of practice to me would be that as you learn different skills at different jobs, so your scope of practice would depend on your skill set. So i would say that i would define it different with each person as everyone has different skill set.

Roxanne

To me I would define scope of practice as: the skills suitable to the knowledge, skills and judgement withheld by a nurse.
      I believe the term “it depends” is correct for the question in many cases. There is many levels of knowledge and experience in the field, and if a person is not comfortable completing a task or have the knowledge necessary in that area then it would be a no. Whereas you could go to another person of the same ranking but they have the knowledge base and can complete the task.

Roxanne

Cynthia, interesting response. Although I do agree with the fact that its learned skills, do you think there is some things that should just automatically be in your skill set since you have completed the education to get thus far and have the book knowledge as it was something learned in nursing. For example, if someone had never put in a catheter before, but was asked to put one in. Could they refuse, even though they had the education in school on how to complete? Food for thought.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.