Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Explain how you would normally describe your role as a nurse and post to the online discussion forum.

Katie

Currently as a Manager of Clinical Practice I would describe my role as a nurse as being one of support to our nursing staff, both RN and RPN. My role is to ensure they receive the most up to date information and tools to support their practice. I can add value to their individual knowledge, skill and judgment by offering guidance and direction based on my own direct clinical experience and understanding of the policy in place in our organization.

Johanna

As an RPN working on a locked unit in Long Term Care, I would describe my role as two-fold.
      Firstly, I care for 27 residents by administering medication and monitoring their physical condition. I monitor their emotional and behavioral status as well. I collaborate with my RN supervisor, the PSWs, Restorative Care, Recreation staff, Physiotherapy, the Dietician, the practitioner, and the Power of Attorney (POA) for the resident. My daytime RPN counterpart and I collaborate to manage the care of the residents as well.
      Secondly, I function as the Unit Manager. I monitor staffing levels and manage any performance issues. I hold shift change report meetings at the start of every shift, and the PSWs and I discuss any issues relevant to our residents, and the best way to handle them. I am responsible for the physical condition of the unit and equipment. I also sit on several different committees, such as the Joint Health and Safety Committee, the Antipsychotic Reduction Committee, the Ethics Committee, and the Skin and Wound Committee.

Katie

I find it interesting to see how the team model for provision of care works in a setting where you are providing that care side by side with your colleagues. The variety of types/levels of care are so intertwined especially at the bedside. When everyone is supported to work the thee full potential within their own scope of practice it is such a value added situation for the the patients and their families.

Jeanette

My current role in the nursing work force is Nursing Coordinator at a Community Health Centre. I would describe my role as the support / Go to person. I have 5 RPN’s and 2 RN that I support and make sure they are working to the Scope of Practice of the center. I am in charge of hiring and training new staff, keeping nursing staff up to date with important updates, making sure the clinic runs smoothly and all equipment is in good working condition. I run monthly meetings with nurses, collaborate with management, write medical directives and is part of our Quality Improvement group. I also partake on several communities such as Joint Health and Safety, Culture Club and the Green team.

Maame

I currently work in a LTC facility, to be exact night shift in which I oversee two units with one PSW on each unit and a night float . I have to give shift report to the PSWs’, adminster medications, complete lab requistions , necessary assessments, start g- feeds and the list go on. On nights’ there is two RPNs’ and an RN working in the facility. If I require some assistance or even a second opinion I have my fellow colleagues to lean on for support.

Norma
      Keymaster

Well, I must say this is a pretty impressive group of nurses. All with various skills and knowledge in your perspective practice areas. I think you all articulated your roles well and without a doubt would surprise other healthcare professionals with all the knowledge you possess to do what you do. I once was speaking to a new grad who said she was “just an RPN”. That comment certainly is not reflective of the enormous impact you all have within your roles. Being able to speak to this is an aspect of supporting role clarity and helping others understand the value we bring to the healthcare system.

Nely

I would say that I have been a nurse for over 3 years and admire how far nursing has come. My goal is to be inclusive and engaging direct care nurses whenever possible to help drive better outcomes and make a difference in their work.
      As a nurse leader, it does mean a lot when nursing understands that “you have been there” and “understand”.
      My role is that of Quality and Practice. Ensuring the best possible outcomes for patient and staff satisfaction and clinical outcomes, while using best practices to get there.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.