• This Discussion Thread has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 day, 7 hours ago by Roxanne.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Explain how you would normally describe your role as a nurse and post to the online discussion forum.

Cynthia

It is my job to advocate and care for individuals and families as I do my job within my scope and my abilities. I am also here to support them through health and illness and families as well. I keep putting in the word family because sometimes the family members are the ones who need the care the most because they are unsure as what is going on with partner/mother/dad/sister brother ….. They look to us for answer because the MD is not always around to answer questions they might have we are there 24/7 looking after the patient so they come to us. I have to stick to my abilities because that is the CNO standards that I as a nurse signed on to follow as guidelines to keep my patient safe from harm

Roxanne

When asked to explain my job as a nurse I usually give the following explanation.
      As a nurse I am there to assist in some of the biggest transitions of life. I support families and patients through some very big changes as well as the long road to recovering and healing. I listen, understand and advocate for not only the ones I can for but for their families and supports as well to create the smoothest transitions. I work alongside many professions to create seamless healthcare in everyway possible and communicate with everyone of them to get the best patient outcomes.

Roxanne

Cynthia great point referencing the MD, we are there a lot of the time to answer questions for the MD. A lot of the time the questions arise after the MD has left and they have had time to consider or process the information. Although we are signed on as Nurses and that is our given title we are really so much more,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.