Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

From the activities above: Complete the “How good are your communication skills?” questionnaire and post what you learned about your communication skills and what strategies will you use to enhance your communication. If you are an excellent communicator, describe an important factor about receiving messages (listening) .

Johanna

I have learned that I am an excellent communicator. According to the explanation, “[I] understand [my] role as a communicator, both when [I] send messages and when [I] receive them. [I] anticipate problems, and choose the right channel to communicate. People respect [me] for [my] ability to communicate clearly and they appreciate [my] listening skills.”
      An important factor in receiving messages is to remember that “listening is hard work, which is why effective listening is called active listening. To listen actively, give your undivided attention to the speaker…”
      However, I find that there are times when I do not feel that my message is received quite the way I would like it to be and I feel that I could have done a better job at expressing myself. I tend to digress or veer off topic, and I think I need to work on expressing myself more efficiently in order to get my message across.

Jeanette

Johanna,
        I agree, I often dissect my conversations and try to think and plan for a better conversation next time. I think it is a very good habit to get in to we can always do a better job with communication.

Maame

By completing the communication skills questionnaire I learned that I am a capable commuincator but I experirence commuincation issues. I also learned that I have to take the time to think about my approach to communication, and focus on receiving messages effectively, as much as sending them. This will help to improve my ability to communicate.

Johanna

Maame,

One of the most challenging aspects of communication is learning how to actively listen. You are definitely not alone in this. Writer Fran Lebowitz famously said, “The opposite of talking isn’t listening. The opposite of talking is waiting.”
        Active listening involves hearing the words that the other person is saying, and actually taking in the message they are trying to give. Then, when you reframe what the person just said, just to make sure you have the correct understanding, the person truly feels that you have heard them.

Jeanette

I have learned I am an Excellent communicator . In the explanation it says I understand my role as a communicator, both when I send messages and when I receive them.
      It says I anticipate problems, and I choose the right channel to communicate.
      It also commented that People respect me for my ability to communicate clearly and they appreciate my listening skills.
      I do agree with this out come as I feel I can communicate well with others not only through my words but I an a very good active listener.

Katie

Its so wonderful to see when someone can recognize their own strengths and use that not only to their own advantage but as an advantage and opportunity for the team they are working with!

Katie

I too am an excellent communicator, I am direct in clear in my messaging and I anticipate problems in order to try and deliver the appropriate message. Those around me fell heard and communicate with me that I put them at ease.

I do however find that when dealing with a variety of communication styles I am not always in my comfort zone. It is much harder to appreciate a communication style that is much different from your own and still feel that you have delivered a concise message.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.