Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Think of an example of when you adjusted your communication to meet another person’s style. Are you a thinker, feeler, doer or imaginer? Why do you believe that is your style?

Johanna

My day shift colleague is very much a doer. She focuses on the present, values action, achievement and progress. She values the most straightforward approach, and drives the team to a conclusion and action plan. She can also be assertive, and interrupts or will disagree. I have found that I get my point across better by being more blunt and to the point than I normally would be. It does not seem to put my colleague off; rather, she seems to appreciate this approach.
      Myself, I think that I fit most often as a thinker. I appreciate data, logic, and structured problem solving processes. At meetings, I don’t tend to say a lot, but I like to be prepared before the meeting. I feel skeptical until I hear proof of how an idea will work. I also need time to “soak up” and reflect on what is being said.

Jeanette

Johanna,
        I myself sometimes think I an being assertive and some people don’t like this but in certain circumstances it is the best way to communicate especially when a decision needs to be made in a timely matter.

Jeanette

I am very much a doer. I like to get the project done and see results. I will be the first to speak with a plan and strategize for the best possible out come. I try not to make things more complicated then it has to be keeping things simple for everyone.

My coworker is a feeler and I have often have to change my way of communicating with her so she feels that she is being heard. In a QI meeting we are trying to improve our access to our clinic. My coworker asked that everyone break out into break out groups for discussions. I don’t always agree with this way but for this project it did work well. There was many ideas brought forward.

Johanna

Jeanette,
        What you are saying is that you actually get better results by being flexible as opposed to being rigid. By being able to consider your co-worker’s view, the better the chance you have at a broader, more inclusive outcome.

Maame

I am a thinker, I like to think through my ideas and process how I am going to put my ideas into action. As for my colleague , she’s a doer in which she likes to get things done and solve problems, which is good. It becomes a problem when ideas aren’t thought through clearly and are just implemented without feedback. For example, there was a issue with the PSW assignment on day shift, instead of her collaborating with evening shift so the assignment can be corrected she went ahead and made the change by herself. By her so that action created a big issue on the unit, if she came to me as the evening nurse and collaborate how we could adjust the assignment there wouldn’t of been a problem.

Katie

As a doer myself I appreciate the feedback in your statement, my co-worker is a thinker as well. Quiet at times and I struggle as a doer to not talk over her more reserved approach. I realize she is giving time to her reply and direction, being quick with an answer though can be a strength at times is not the best practice guidance we all seek to provide.

Katie

As a 100% doer I strive on active, a clear directive and task at hand. I teach best by example and do find it conflicting at times when you realize that others do not always have the same approach to communication or learning. A moderate balance is usually best, being able to assess those differences and switch techniques is something I actively strive for in my leadership role.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.