• This Discussion Thread has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Katie.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Share an example in your experience where a lack of communication and understanding of roles negatively affected the relationships among team members or alternately where good communication and understanding of roles positively affected relationships among team members.

Johanna

I think that the relationship I have with my PSWs is an example of how good communication and understanding of roles positively affects our working relationship.
      The PSWs I work with are the “eyes and ears” of the team. They have the most social contact with the residents. They are present in the halls and overhear what the residents are saying and see what they are doing. The PSWs are very adept at reading the body language of the residents, and they come and tell me when a resident appears to be getting agitated. They are also adept at performing their own type of physical assessments of the residents while they are completing care. They notify me of any unusual findings, and can let me know how long they have identified that finding, which is very helpful when notifying the physician.
      My role is one of floor manager. I am responsible for the physical and emotional health of the residents. I am also responsible for overseeing the work of the PSWs. I manage staffing levels and any work-related issues. I also have a responsibility to protect both the residents and the PSWs from harm.
      As a team, we discuss any issues that come up in our daily shift change report huddle. I work on any concerns that they express, and then report back to them the next day. I feel very fortunate to work with the team that I work with.

Jeanette

Hi Johana,
        I am not sure you stated an experience where lack of communication and understanding of roles negatively affected the relationships among team but I do agree I feel your team have a great working relationship with good communication. It’s very nice to hear as usually you only hear the bad.

Jeanette

I can think of a couple examples where lack of communication can lead to misunderstanding amongst my team.
      Recently My boss sent out an email stating they needed someone to work the evening as they didn’t have anyone. I replied to the email stating I could do the shift the next day there was an email to all stating the shift was filled and thank you to all who replied. I did not hear anything else so I assumed it was not my shift as they usually would not want a supervisor working the extra shits.
      On that day I left work and come 1730 I got a phone call asking where I was. I explained the email and went back to work and completed the shift.
      The next day I spoke to my boss regarding her miscommunication. She apologized for not letting me know and I also learned to check in even if I assume it was someone else who got the shift.

Maame

I recall a time when a resident had an early doctor’s appointment the following morning. The evening nurse communicated during the shift report/ wrote in the communication book to dress, feed and have resident in the lobby by 0700 am. After assisting the PSW with getting the resident ready I went to the dining room to see if the breakfast was prepared for the resident. The dietary staff told me she just started her shift and nothing was communicated to her. That meant there would be a delay in the preparation of the resident’s food and also the resident would be late for his appointment. Due to the delay, there was a big argument between the nurses and dietary staff. The unit manager later had a meeting with all parties to find a plan so next time the same incident won’t occur again and make the necessary changes next time.

Katie

My co worker and I work side by side to provide clinical support to the same 95 nurses on staff with our organization. Though we both have a variety of experience we both have very different communication and leadership styles. In this case I think it is a wonderful compliment. We both are able to play to each others strengths and reach out to each other when we regard our own weaknesses as being in need of support.

We have both noticed examples where we were able to avoid a potential conflict or lack of response with a nurse because we were able to assess the nurse as having a communication or learning style much more suited to each other and either shared or defer to one another. This has provided the staff with a great balance and opportunity for learning where we might have missed otherwise.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.