• This Discussion Thread has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 days, 17 hours ago by Roxanne.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Tell us a little about yourself and why you’re interested in this course!

April

Hello everyone!
      My name is April Preisentanz, I am an Indigenous nurse and have been working for Waasegiizhig Nanaadawe’Iyewigamig Health Access Centre (WNHAC) for 14 years. I spent 13 years working in primary care as a clinic nurse care coordinator, and the last year as an Interprofessional Team Coordinator providing direct supervision to inter-professional care teams. WNHAC has always been supportive of all nurses working to full scope, and as such I have had many opportunities for obtaining additional competencies over the years. I have chosen to complete leadership courses through WeRPN as a way of remaining connected to the field I chose, and supporting the advancement of practical nursing. One interesting fact about me, is that I have a feature article in the recently published Fall 2021 RPN Voices journal entitled “Leading from the Heart”.

Norma

Hello Everyone!

My name is Norma Tomlin and I am happy to be facilitating Leadership 4 Optimizing the scope of RPNs.
      I have been an RPN for 29 years and am happy to be representing RPNs at WeRPN as the Professional Practice Coordinator. In my role I get calls/emails on a regular bases from nurses who are both in leadership and at the point of care asking about what an RPN can and can not do within their scope. As you will all learn through this course to truly optimize RPNs one must have the knowledge and understanding about the roles of RPNs and the framework to know how to optimize and utilize RPNs in today’s healthcare system. Never before has it been so important that all the skill knowledge and judgement that nurses be fully maximized to meet the growing demand of our system. I look forward to supporting you all in your learning of this very important topic.

I bit more about me while not working full-time at the association I am the mother of 3 sons 19, 16, 14 as well as I am an undergrad student at Ryerson University in the BHA program and am taking my last 2 courses this term, very excited about this! So a very busy life like most of you.

On that note let the learning begin!
      Norma Tomlin RPN

Jamie

Aanii! My name is Jamie Lynn. I have been practicing as an RPN for 3 years. Within my three years, I have worked in long term care, home care, and acute care in hospital. Currently, I am working as a full-time primary care Nurse at Noojmowin-Teg Health Centre on Manitoulin Island. I work closely with the MD’s and Nurse Practitioners, assisting with whatever they may need.
      I am very excited about this course, as I believe it will help me have a better understanding of what I can do better as a RPN in the field.
      A little more about me…I have a cat named Haze and a dog named Benson, and my partner and I are expecting our first child in February 2022 🙂

Cynthia

Hi, My name is Cynthia. I have been an RPN for 3years. I have worked in the hospital setting, LTC, and Retirement. I am working full time in LTC/retirement at this time. I have one daughter who is 21 years of age. I have worked along side with some great MDs. I feel blessed to be able to do what I do.
      I have taken the first 3 courses and I am hoping to complete this one as well to add to my resume and my understanding of the scope of practice in nursing and more of the leadership role as well. I plan on going for my RN and getting into more palliative care.
      I am 46 years of age. I live alone and work full time.

Roxanne

Hey there ! My name is Roxanne, I am a RPN of 7 years. In my 7 years I have nursed in community, hospital, retirement home, walk in clinic and most recently and actively long term care. I have a little guy at home who turns 2 in October. I have taken the first 2 leadership courses, in fact I was originally signed up for the third but was the only enrolled member so I transferred here. My goal in nursing is to become administration of some kind and understand that leadership skills can make a huge difference.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.