Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

Key Findings of the Research- Review the key findings below and discuss in the forum if there is anything that you were expecting but is not listed

• The RPN role is viewed as a valuable member of the health care team in the provision of quality patient care.
      • Although frequently used, the phrase scope of practice is not well understood, with most nurses describing scope of practice in terms of tasks or what they are allowed to do in their practice settings
      • There continue to exist many misconceptions and old truths, held by both RPNs and RNs, regarding the RPN scope of practice, which contributes to role confusion and underutilization of RPNs (e.g. the misconception that RPNs must work under the direct supervision of RN).
      • Leadership has a vital role in setting expectations regarding scope of practice, collaboration, and respect within the practice setting.
      • Organizational practices (e.g., policies, procedures, role descriptions, models of care) play a key role in determining the appropriate utilization of RPNs.
      • Given the significant degree of overlap between the RPN and RN roles, many nurses and nursing leaders are uncomfortable with the resulting ambiguity and would like a list of who can do what to cover all possible scenarios.
      Katie

I think a key finding that is worth having as part of the discussion is the resulting financial discrepancies that remain in RPN and RN pay scales. In mainly setting, primarily I speak to community nursing where my own knowledge comes from first hand. The RN and RPN role is now identical, every nurse regardless of designation brings something different to the table when it comes to experience and knowledge but the job requirements are the same, the pay scale does not reflect this though there has been some movement in this area how we reconcile the differences, how do we define them through enumeration?

Johanna

Upon reviewing the key findings, I can’t think of anything that was not on that list.
      I realize that this was not part of the research scope, however in long term care, some RPNs are becoming more dissatisfied as the PSW pay rate appears to be approaching the current RPN pay rate.
      Many RPNs question why their pay rate is not increasing at the some amount, as RPNs have much more responsibility, and liability, whereas the PSWs do not.

Katie

I see this in community nursing as well, our PSW received much deserved increases and we had to go back and review the RPN pay scale, it has been a project now over two years, some major improvements have been made but we have not come to the end of the process as a result.

Jeanette

The findings seem very relevant. I do wonder why in the research wage was never mentioned or questioned . I feel if more learning and more skills are required for the job the gap in pay scale between RPN’s and RN’s shouldn’t be so large. Maybe that research will be next!

Maame

While analyzing research findings I didn’t find that isn’t listed but agree with Johanna hundred percent in regards RPN’s becoming dissatisfied with PSW rates fast apporaching RPN’s pay rate in long term care. I previously was a PSW and understand the difficulty of the job, also becoming a nurse myself I also understand the complexity of the job. I don’t agree with the PSW pay rate fast apporaching RPN’s pay rate due to the fact that a nurse has alot more responsiblities/ liscense to concern wheras a PSW doesn’t. I have hear PSWs’ in the long term care facility I work in say “why would I be a nurse I make more then a nurse with the additional three dollars to my pay ” which was pretty disheartening.

Nely

Agree with the scope of practice being uncertain not only amongst direct care teams, but also with leaders. the CNO document update with Practice Standards just released has been helpful to ascertain that it’s not about the task… but about the competency of the nurse.
      I also think nursing would prefer some guidance on restrictions.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this Discussion Thread.